Changing supervisor after a year

S

Athina, this is how I read it from your earlier posts, hence my questions. As I said, I don't want to put you off because it could be something special that just needs handling in the correct way.

Too be honest, you have 2 choices, bury the whole idea or change supervisor. As you say, if you do the latter you will need to talk to him anyway (regardless of the outcome). Are you prepared to go that far?

H

I don't know any English people who think that. In fact I know some greek women (and men) and think they are lovely.

S

I can tell you know, the Greek lady I'm forlornly chasing is playing very hard to get.

K

I watched My Big Fat Greek Wedding, but that only had stereotypes of Greeks having big families and having lots of parties. Maybe there were more in there that I missed.

S

Have to disagree MistaG, I like debate!

H

I agree, sounds like a troll.

S

I don't know either.

Maria, your posts from yesterday are residing on the Off-topic page. The threads don't appear on the latest messages page. You've had a number of replies!

H

Yes, I think coastman (nearly typed coatsman) must be jealous.

S

Maria, you may mean that there are cultural differences between greeks and english but this is the case for all foreigners in this country. I am sure my fiancee's family find some things we use to do in Greece "different", and even my fiancee finds some of the things I do highly amusing but apart from that.....! And to be honest I dont think that english care so much about where you come from.. its rather us (greeks) who can be close minded and rather xenophobic (greek word, i am not sure about the spelling in english )

M

Yes, the forum should be consisted of people who share the same views and exchange compliments and compassion. But the world is not like that and a real forum cant be either! Why can't someone have a sayng here from an other perspective? I do believe that english are racists against greeks (and against most of the nations). So, why cant I express that in a forum? People here talk against religion, something that i am very sensitive about, but I shut up.

S

Sorry Athina, this thread is getting a little sidetracked, you were saying.....?

S

Maria, in response to your point on religion, there have been some pretty hot debates on here in the past. Contrary to what you might think, some of the forum regulars have strong religious beliefs.

H

Why are you on about racists on this thread? Where has anyone been racist to greeks here?

A

Thanks for your interest Sylvester. No, I do not think I am prepared to go that far. It is also MY reputation in the department that I do not want to ruin. I know that after that I will feel horrible with myself, very embarrassed and may be less motivated to finish my PhD. I think what I wanted to get out of sharing my feelings with you guys is just feeling a kind of relief talking it through with people in a "safe" environment where noone knows me or can judge me for my feelings. I do not take the issue lightly, it is a real problem for me because I do not fall in love very often, so I am rather frustrated and in a way... sad

S

Then I think you know the answer to your question.

Glad the people here have been helpful. Will you be sticking around as a regular?