Sneaks' accountability thread

M

I have the same problem with my sup not listening to what I say. Sometimes he's honest and says 'sorry I wasn't listening to you at all there'. Very frustrating after spending quite some time explaining something. If I ever want to say something or explain something now I usually resort to email. At least that way he's read the entire piece I wanted to say. Though he often waits til the next meeting to discuss it.

Really hope you figure out a way to make the new framework make sense. Writing nasty letters to methods/theories and papers can be very helpful :)

She ignores emails as well :-( the main problem is that i wrote a project proposal for the second study AND did a 14000 word lit review that explained all the issues around it and its clear she never read it, i've never had any feedback about it. She's heard a buzzword I mentioned and jumped on it, rather than reading through the info. well I'm off to a function now - dull! So I am goign to read a few journals on the way there and hope to actually get the writing done tomorrow. at least I will feel like I have done something then rather than just pondering about problems!

M

Good luck with the reading. Sups can be very pesky.

After 3 sleepless nights and constant stressing about having to re-write with this theory. Sup tells me yesterday "oh did I tell you to do that?" - GRRR. So now re-writing it my way. BUT because of all the stressing I have lost a few days and she wants the entire write up to be done by Monday - which is completely impossible. I am teaching all day Friday, so means I only have 4 days. ANyway, I will try my best.

Today:
- re-write literature review

Tomorrow:
Re-write method and results

Saturday/Sunday:

Write discussion

I think Algaequeen's suggestion of having 1 goals was a good one. So my goal for the morning is to reorganise my lit review and see where I need to add/remove stuff.

M

Well at least you're now able to do things your way, that will make the progress a lot faster. All you can do is your best. Keep at it, chill out if you can and all will be well.

A

good one sneaks, good luck with it. Your sup sounds like a right cowboy, you should try emailing her after each meeting/conversation you have with a little summary of what she has asked you to do and what you feel should be done and a general date when you think you'll have it done by, you can;t go on with her changing her mind every farts end just for the sake of it. and I think you should copy in your second supervisor or head of research or whoever it is involved in your project, there is a second person to make sure this kind of thing doesnt happen, it's so unfair on you. As for those students in your other thread....email them back and let them know it's their course, their work and by all means you can point them in the direction of the library and the helpful subject librarian there but that it's not your job to do their research there! In a nice, formal way of course!
My mission for today....find all my PCR papers and begin compiling a methodology for my next batch of experimental work!

======= Date Modified 11 Mar 2010 08:42:03 =======
I don't really have a 2nd supervisor, well I have one on paper, and i work with him for teaching etc. but he doesn't even know the topic of my PhD and is junior to my sup, so probably wouldn't want to say/do anything - he's quite diffident.

I'm feeling more positive today and have broken my horrible morning cycle - I have to take hubby to station at 6am and usually lounge around watching tv until 9-9.30 but I think its making my work suffer, so here I am before 9am, after doing a bit of housework, raring to go.

I'm a little bored with the lit review now - its so tedious but have decided there's nothing better than just getting it done.
So today = get lit review done!

Hopefully have a look at method & results.

Good luck everyone!

A

ooh good luck sneaks
today I am v sleepy, after having a mini night off work and having dinner in the local pub had a *very* sore tummy last night and was awake for ages :( but I'm all better now thank god! so it's cracking on with work! today, type up note for some volunteer work I do, and hopefully get started on a method for my lab work before I have to go meet said volunteer person!

A

pfff I think I have ADD today... or ADHD without the hyperactive bit.....

right, I've written a paragraph that I didn't want to so its good to get it out of the way. I now just have to make the stuff I've written before more concise e.g. cut it down to a quarter of what it is now.

I feel a bit better about this.

Going to walk the dog and then have lunch and then start on this new section.

wonderful - sup just asked me to get on with my next study ASAP. think she's forgotten she asked me to do the first one only 3 days ago! oh well - looks like weekends are out for a few months ;-)

M

Argh sups can be so annoying! I think they sometimes see us as little machines that just *magically* get work done whenever they ask it of us.

Weekends are for boring people, who do housework and things like that, we're not missing much :)

ok so by weekend is officially out the window. I have to re-write the method and results and then write the discussion from scratch. I also have to TRY and do this so we can visit my mother in law tomorrow, which means that I have to hae most of this done by 10am tomorrow. I can see this not happenning but will try my best.
So in the next hour.

- re-write method
- start re-write on results.

ok well I've re-written the method, and now starting to look at results. Problem is they are currently 4,500 words long, so need to be cut dramatically and have no idea what I'm doing! going to have lunch and then make a start.