Sneaks' accountability thread

- at least 5 interviews analysed (up)

T

Way to go sneaks! (up)
I'm psyching myself up for the easy but lengthy lab task, then a final review of the work plan and I'm all done.

right - I have done 13/40 thematic analysis. Plan for tomorrow is to get up to 25. Unfortunatly some aren't transcribed yet, but as I am just doing basic themes (the key 4 heading themes) - as just need to count them I am going to listen to them and do this. But will get all the transcribed ones done tomorrow!

Going to finish the presentation stuff tonight, so I have all day to think over it/run through it a bit. Feel a bit more on top of it especially now I have replaced lighbulbs in my room - I can see!

T

That's awesome progress sneaks! You'll definitely slay the thematic beast now :)

I have ticked off everything on today's list yet somehow I feel under-accomplished, probably because I just had a paper rejected this afternoon :-( *sigh* the rejection stings like a bad-tempered jellyfish.

W

I just had a paper rejected this afternoon :-( *sigh* the rejection stings like a bad-tempered jellyfish.

GULP!

Sorry to hear that Teeks - any good feedback to go on?

the thematic stuff is for a paper I want in to a journal by xmas, so hoping I can get it done asap!

Good that you ticked off everything though - I think you deserve treats! a giant gummy bear perhaps?

T

======= Date Modified 24 Nov 2009 17:06:12 =======
No useful feedback sadly, the main issue is just that the first paper on the topic was done in a slightly larger sample group, I've now got a negative counter-result but it's barely publishable because my sample power is slightly lower :-( Absolutely nothing I can do about it until I get access to more samples, and that won't happen in the course of my phd. It actually frustrates me most because I had some really interesting and valid points that no one else has put out there, for once I felt that I had something worthwhile to say!

*rant over*

Glad the stuf for your paper is getting underway, I think we both deserve gummy bears, but in place of that I may have my thrid packet of iced gems today.

If its that kind of criticism - I've had it before. I just went and found a load of references for power and sample size and threw them in to the text. So literally justified why my sample was ok. There will be references out there! Or even perhaps a simple sentence acknowledging this difference between yours and the original?

T

We have addressed the issue in the paper, and the work is sufficiently powered to detect the original effect reported. Unfortunately for this kind of study (genetic) a lot of journals have a blanket rule that they won't accept a negative finidng with sample less than in the original or less than "n". Plus, who really wants to report negatives in this field?

thats rubbish - any chance of putting it into another journal??

Done today!

- at least 5 interviews analysed
- Finish off 'hand out' for presentation on thus
- find something businessy to wear for thus (not jeans!)

Tomorrow
am: Finish off presentation for thus completely
Pm: Do another 5 (at leat) interviews
Think about how to use that data (that seems unuseable) for another study

J

Hey Sneaks,

Can I join your accountability thread? I'm impressed by how much it seems to motivate you. After a VERY slow week, I'm in desparate need of a kick up the bum...

So... today I want to:

- write the first half of my first discussion chapter - aiming for 3000 words by the end of the day.
- sort out travel arrangements for an upcoming conference
- reduce panic for said conference, by considering all options rationally (this one might be more difficult to achieve)

Welcome!

I have sorted out my presentation this morning! don't think its that good, but am at the point of saying sod it, I don't really care!

have also stopped whirring on computer by hoovering it, and now going to start on with that thematic analysis urgh - its horrible! But I have been motivated by the publication before thesis thread so need to get on!

Not being helped this week by the fact that I have lost my glasses and the screen seems warped

T

Sneaks, I have a wonderful image of your avatar frantically hoovering a computer, it seems like something that should feature in phdcomics.com 8-)

And Jinkim, I prostrate myself before your word count, if I manage 300 words in a day I'm virtually dancing around my desk!

I've lost almost the whole day to training for a new machine we have on trial, interesting piece of kit but I find it hard to commit myself to starting a day's work at this hour, especially given it's so dark outside that it feels like home time.

I find I can't do any work if I have anything else in the day planned at all - its just a psychological thing. Even if its going shopping in the evening - I hop about all day and don't do anything. Must be because my life is so dull!

3000 words is a lot! I actually LOVE writing and hate doing anything else so would love to be in that mode at the mo. I am in thematic analysis hell though until I can get this sorted. And beginning to feel a bit nervous about the presentation tomorrow.