ESRC Open Competition results

S

Quote From killahtron:

That's a good idea, but do you mean when we get the emails from our respective uni's, or when the ESRC tells our respective uni's (if we know)? This is assuming that both these things won't happen on the same day.

OK, I think we have pretty much tacitly agreed to post when we get our results. So I bet that it will be this Friday (6th) that the first person announces their news, either good or bad.

If the results come out on day 1 (i.e. they are sent out), then assuming 1st class post, they arrive day 2 at uni. Presuming good admin, they arrive on the desk of the nominated contact day 2 also. Then, assuming they open it day 2, and are nice people;-) - then you get an email day 2. Problem is - I know for a fact that my Nom Con is on leave a couple of days this week and ALL next week, and i bet that she's not the only one:-(. Ah well......

P

Quote From SocDave:

If the results come out on day 1 (i.e. they are sent out), then assuming 1st class post, they arrive day 2 at uni. Presuming good admin, they arrive on the desk of the nominated contact day 2 also. Then, assuming they open it day 2, and are nice people;-) - then you get an email day 2. Problem is - I know for a fact that my Nom Con is on leave a couple of days this week and ALL next week, and i bet that she's not the only one:-(. Ah well......

After seeing your post SocDave, I contacted my Nom Con and it appears that they only work Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays so that narrows it down for me when I might hear. It doesn't seem that they are on leave at the moment though which is good!

S

I've bitten the bullet - I emailed ESRC direct to ask when to expect the results!!

"Hello, I am aware that you are not able to give decisions via any other method than by letter to a institution Nominated Contact, but was wondering if you can give me any idea when the results will be released? That is, when ESRC will post the letters to Uni’s. Even though I won’t find out my result, at least I’ll have an idea when the fateful day will be!!"

Lets hope I get a response that isn't "go away" in not so polite terms!!!;-)

P

Quote From SocDave:

I've bitten the bullet - I emailed ESRC direct to ask when to expect the results!!

"Hello, I am aware that you are not able to give decisions via any other method than by letter to a institution Nominated Contact, but was wondering if you can give me any idea when the results will be released? That is, when ESRC will post the letters to Uni’s. Even though I won’t find out my result, at least I’ll have an idea when the fateful day will be!!"

Lets hope I get a response that isn't "go away" in not so polite terms!!!;-)

Good job! Please keep us updated if you hear anything :)

M

(up)!!

P

I also emailed the ESRC a few days ago and have just received their response:

Dear Allan

The decision letters are due to go out at the end of this week and are sent to our nominated contacts at the universities. It is they that forward the decisions to the students.
Regards

PTD Enquiries

So looks like early next week people :)

M

oh well, at least we can psotpone this obsession til monday..

S

Quote From PsychBrainiac:

I also emailed the ESRC a few days ago and have just received their response:

Dear Allan

The decision letters are due to go out at the end of this week and are sent to our nominated contacts at the universities. It is they that forward the decisions to the students.
Regards

PTD Enquiries

So looks like early next week people :)

Glad you got a response - but I'm gutted, my Nom Con is off next week and I go away the week after. At least I might find out before (tree) :-s

P

Mixilgt - Yes, true. In a way, it's nice not to feel that I have to check my emails so many times a day now...until Monday.

SocDave - Sorry to hear that. It's bad timing on their part...maybe you can check emails at an Internet Cafe or something?

S

Quote From PsychBrainiac:

Mixilgt - Yes, true. In a way, it's nice not to feel that I have to check my emails so many times a day now...until Monday.

SocDave - Sorry to hear that. It's bad timing on their part...maybe you can check emails at an Internet Cafe or something?

Oh, I will do - just not what you really want to do on your hols!! And I wanted it over and done with before I went away. Just knowing that the result is on a desk, unopened, with my future decided........

M

Oh, I will do - just not what you really want to do on your hols!! And I wanted it over and done with before I went away. Just knowing that the result is on a desk, unopened, with my future decided........[/quote]

But even if your Nom Con is away there should be someone available at the office, I would assume? So whenever results start to come out next week you could always contact them and ask them to open the damn letter!!!

The whole process is so depressing..such a long process, for a handful of places...

P

Yeah, that is fair enough! I understand what you mean and that's a reason why I booked my hols in September. I cannot wait for this wait to be over now...

S

I've politely enquired about the availability of someone else to email results and am waiting for a response. I will, however, ring the number anyway - there's bound to be someone I can pester 'til they crack!

I'll post an update regardless. Fingers crossed all :-)

Good Luck for next 'Monday' (COME ON Royal Mail, we know you can do it!!)

K

I can't believe that in this day and age they rely on snail mail. Oh well.....

K

======= Date Modified 04 Aug 2010 15:20:56 =======
And just to ask something else, is everyone relying on this competition or do people have other sources of funding already secured?