ESRC Studentships 2009

P

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone is aware how/when we're going to be notified of the results?

Thanks

I

Hi,
First of all apologies that I cannot answer your question at all, I have had nothing to do with ESRC.
But, I am waiting too for results from the AHRC open studentship doctoral competition and am completely fed up of waiting!! I have been told not to expect to hear anything until near the end of August but already am running for the post each day, just hoping that I may find out early!
Finally I have found somewhere else out there in the same position too, good luck!!

phdnewbie,

Last year the universty I applied to for ESRC open competition found out on July 28th and informed me straight away via email. Assuming things happen at the same time this year I'm thinking its going to be at least a week or so yet until people are going to start finding out if they have been successful or not.

P

Thanks XJR , hopefully it will be next week eh Imposter

I

Fingers crossed but by the sound of it you should definitely hear sooner than me. I have heard rumours that sometimes it's early sep for AHRC!!! Oh the waiting!!

P

yep , the final few days are always the worst for me !

Does anyone by any chance know the ratio of applications to awards available?

P

AHRC can be early Sept for the open competition (or has been with the system in past years)... equally more people are likely to hear in early-mid August.

P

======= Date Modified 20 Jul 2009 13:31:05 =======
Will we be informed directly by the ESRC, or the department we applied through?

P

In case anyone is waiting/wondering about ESRC open comp results - just got an email saying we will be notified early next week

T

Quote From phdnewbie:

yep , the final few days are always the worst for me !

Does anyone by any chance know the ratio of applications to awards available?

Well last year there were over 1000 applications in total. For the 1+3 award there were around 450 eligible applications and 65 awards. I was in the 85 who had A+ proposals.........but were not awarded the funding.

I assume the numbers will be similar this year (or maybe less).

I hate this waiting......

P

Hi Terrywogan1980 , did they give you feedback about what the criteria is for funding some A+ awards but not others?

T

Hi Phdnewbie,

from the top of my head it worked something like this. Of the 85 who had A+ proposals the 65 awards were given to those that met the ESRC priority areas. They were economics and anything that had advanced quantitative research elements. Mine was neither. I seem to recall that ESRC have now decided that having priority areas is not helpful, Quota awards tend to be focussed in this way anyway.

The statistical info on ESRC awards is all very old, the most recent is 2005. Although I am committed to my research topic, it would be useful to know where the funding is actually going and have that inform my proposal.

The agony will be over in the next few days for us anyway.

Good luck!

P

Thanks for shedding some light on the process - good luck to you too

I just want to be put out of my misery!

P

nope, nothing yet :-s

T

Any news yet?????