Close Home Forum Sign up / Log in

:( I just want to cry/have a rant

L

Submitted my thesis a while back and I'm waiting on the Viva. I had found some major typos, told my supervisor about them, but, since then have found some more major typos, I was sloppy and obviously hadnt read things properly. My viva is going to be a complete disaster and I'm seriously thinking about withdrawing completley instead of being humiliated. I just want it over with now :-(

T

Typos alone won't fail you Lilbopeep, no matter how carefully we read a document we're bound to miss something, my last publication had several mistakes and that's with half a dozen authors looking it over. I've heard other students have made up a list of such errors and sent them to their examiners prior to viva, that way such things are already established and need little talking about on the day. Why not do that once you're sure you've caught them all?
From threads on here I'd say this panic is horrible, but very normal (I fully expect to be wreck in a few months when I'm in the same boat), it doesn't mean you won't do perfectly well on the day :)

L

Thanks teek, on top of this my thesis is so short, at this point the most i'm hoping for is major corrections and resubmit

B

I've found mistakes in mine too, but have been advised simply to take a list of them, pre-prepared, into the viva on the day.

My thesis is short too, but I've been reassured that it's ok, and quality is more important than quantity.

When is your viva? Mine is next week!

W

I can't really add to what everyone else has said really, other than to emphasise that typos are common in most theses. In my actual research documents there are typos, which I find to be embarrassing. In fact, my supervisors are more like primary school teachers for me, teaching me how to write proper sentences.
I actually have quite a few theses from other people. Let me tell you about one of them I have that passed with no corrections. It has quite a few typos and also references cited in the text that are actually missing in the bibliography. You remind me of myself in that when I've submitted something I always notice little mistakes and things I'd like to change afterwards. I'm sure you'll be okay though, so please try not to worry yourself too much before the viva, and send the list of typos to your examiners beforehand.

D

I made loads of typos in my thesis and I passed. It's no big deal - at the start of my viva the internal and external each handed me a list they had find and I pointed out some others I'd found and that was the end of it. Seriously, it's nothing to worry about at all.

M

Hello! Congrats for submitting! I'm only in my first year, but my boyfriend submitted his thesis about 4 years ago. I will never forget the waiting period, he put us both through hell. First he spotted a few typos....then some more.....then some glaring errors, including bibliographical mistakes, mixed up references etc. He was absolutely convinced he had completely screwed it up, and was stressed and miserable night and day. However, guess what! It was absolutely fine. He simply corrected them and passed! Typos are very common. You're not a machine, and you're bound to make some mistakes. Everyone knows that, including your markers. Keep positive!

L

My Viva is only a few weeks away, my thesis is 120 pages, including all the stuff at the front and references, I really think I should have taken an extension rather than submit a thesis full of typos and that looks half finished. At most I'm hoping for a resubmission, I definitley won't get minor corrections. I'm really annoyed with myself as I know I am capable of so much more, but it is too late now, I can't get into the right frame of mind for preparing for this viva.:-(

T

What's done is done lilbopeep, if you've submitted then try to make peace with that. It sounds as if you'll be asked to do some corrections (as almost everyone is) so just view that as your chance to revisit the work and bring it up to the level you're happy with.

I'm not there yet myself but I've seen Bilbo and co advising people to check out viva preparation books, would it maybe help you to focus on that for the last few weeks? If you show that you're aware of the weak points and have ideas of how to remedy them, I'm sure you'll both feel better and have a better time with your examiners.

Hang in there and be brave!

B

Teek's quite right. You can't change what's done now, but you can prepare as well as possible for the viva.

I recommend Tinkler and Jackson's "Doctoral Examination Process" viva book. It helped me no end.

You need to make the most of the next few weeks, to do as well as possible in the viva.

Good luck!

======= Date Modified 26 Mar 2010 20:36:41 =======

Quote From lilbobeep:

... I definitley won't get minor corrections.(

I think typos are considered as minor corrections.

D

Don't worry about it, I'm sure it will all be fine

L

Quote From 404:

======= Date Modified 26 Mar 2010 20:36:41 =======
Quote From lilbobeep:

... I definitley won't get minor corrections.(

I think typos are considered as minor corrections.

Not the typos I have, they give the impression things are wrong :-( Part of me would prefer to resubmit so I could improve it alot I have so many ideas that could go into it. But how can I say that to the examiner without being asked "Why didn't you do this already?" (turkey)

======= Date Modified 28 Mar 2010 17:56:26 =======
I think there are always things you will want to add. I know several people who have held onto their theses for YEARS, never actually submitting, but keeping changing, adapting, adding, removing and at some point you just have to draw the line and go for it. I'm sure it will be fine!

i like your outfit (up)

Quote From lilbobeep:

Not the typos I have, they give the impression things are wrong :-( Part of me would prefer to resubmit so I could improve it alot I have so many ideas that could go into it. But how can I say that to the examiner without being asked "Why didn't you do this already?"

It is hard to say something without seeing those typos, but I agree with Sneaks. And unless you've submitted without a supervisor's consent (or your supervisor neglected your work), it's so unlikely that they would cause major corrections. I'm only talking from the experience of others that I heard though; I haven't submitted yet, and I too would feel like you do now in that situation probably.... But sometimes it is easier to look at things as an outsider, so I hope our comments will help you relax a bit. You'll cross that bridge when you come to it, and hopefully it won't be a tough one. Good luck
(up)