Close Home Forum Sign up / Log in

USA or UK for computer science Phd

P

I got offers from both universities: Rochester Institute of Technology in USA and University of Durham in UK. Considering that I live in the Dominican Republic, traveling to either place would be same. Funding is guaranteed for both programs also. However in terms of Computer Science research and Phd experience, quality and recognition, should I go the USA or UK?

I dont know Durham University at all. Thanks for your advice.

M

======= Date Modified 05 Aug 2009 10:28:20 =======
Durham is a very good 'top' UK university, although it doesn't have quite a high-profile international name like Oxbridge or some of the London colleges. I was offered a place at Durham but declined as I find it interminably boring (it's very small, and there isn't much to do). I can't comment on Rochester, as I don't know the university.

*Generally speaking*, and based on what I've read and been told over the years, US PhD programmes generally outshine UK PhD programmes in terms of training, support, teaching experience etc.

A

I have a similar dilemma. I have been offered two studentships for a PhD in Comp. Sci.; one in Estonia and the other one in the UK, and I think it is very likely that I will be offered a 3rd one in Canada later this month... But I just can't decide which one to accept. The Canadian faculty are experts in my favourite research area (funding still unknown), the Estonian studentship is closely linked to my work experience (excellent funding), while the UK one is in between these two (acceptable funding, but I love the UK). What do you think I should do?
BTW: I am from the Dominican Republic as well.

Regards.

A

Can't comment on the quality and recognition of the PhD program except to say Durham is one of the UK's oldest and best Universities especially for the Sciences.
You should check out the Research Assessment Exercise (RAE).
http://www.rae.ac.uk/
Which ranks UK Universities on their research programs.

It as also a beautiful city, where much of the medieval architecture survives (A lot of the Harry Potter scenes were filmed in Durham Cathedral.
)
It has a reasonable cost of living, bouncing nightlife and fantastic countryside.
If you are into sports then Durham is the place for you, especially Cricket and Soccer.
As you can probably tell, I was born and grew up there and although I didn't go to Durham Uni, many of my friends did.

P

I am a PhD student at a a TOP UK school, and very renowned in my subject. However, I agree with the person here who commented on how US PhD programs outshine the UK. Unless we're talking Cambridge, Oxford, LSE, UCL, Imperial, then forget the UK. I don't know about Rochester. Why don't you check the overall and subject rankings of US universities and see where Rochester figures. Also, do you wish to remain in the UK or the US? Which country do you prefer to live in or build a career in or even get practical experience from? In terms of work opportunities, each country has a set of immigration laws that may facilitate matters for students, especially PhD.

Finally, I advise US despite my alma matter being UK. I am a student of history so I speak for my field. Research, teaching, funding, programs in the US, especially at Ivy Leagues, are at a much higher standard.

P

Thanks AberdeenAngus for your response. Since you are familiar with the area, do you think it would feasible to live in New Castle and commute to Durham University. I read that there is a train that can get you there in 15 minutes. Is New Castle a good place to live?

Quote From AberdeenAngus:

Can't comment on the quality and recognition of the PhD program except to say Durham is one of the UK's oldest and best Universities especially for the Sciences.

You should check out the Research Assessment Exercise (RAE).

http://www.rae.ac.uk/

Which ranks UK Universities on their research programs.

It as also a beautiful city, where much of the medieval architecture survives (A lot of the Harry Potter scenes were filmed in Durham Cathedral.

)

It has a reasonable cost of living, bouncing nightlife and fantastic countryside.

If you are into sports then Durham is the place for you, especially Cricket and Soccer.

As you can probably tell, I was born and grew up there and although I didn't go to Durham Uni, many of my friends did.