Confessions: Things that you cannot believe you started doing...

... since you started your PhD research.

Mine is, watching Neighbours. I feel so embarrassed about it.

What's your confession?

B

Talking to myself

I started doing that too

A

spending all day in tracky bottoms and a manky jumper, not getting dressed properly.

A

Since writing my thesis, I find I use words like 'hence', 'therefore' and 'thus' in normal conversation (and forum posts )

P

I am like you Ann. I use the word "significant" as though I am statistically analysing everything in my life. Example (one I said to boyf the other night): "Gee, honey, increasing the concentration of cheese resulted in a significant increase in the flavour of the risotto, didn't it?". He just looked at me with one eyebrow raised!

K

Writing to-do lists for almost everything I do, started out just PhD related stuff but has now encroahed onto normal life,

To Do...
Run PCR
Read so and so's paper
Post letter
Eat lunch etc

If it's not on the list I won't remember to do it!

P

I do that too - I mean use academic lingo in non academic situations. I saw a man with a funny plaited beard the other day and I asked the person I was with if they thought it signified membership of a subculture ? :-$

P

F

Thank God, I am not alone! I do both the list thing and also using academic words in normal conversation. I can't think of an example off hand sadly! I love the 'significant' and 'membership of a sub-culture' examples.

lol pea . I've been doing lists too. And the academic lingo (even with my cats).

D

"furthermore" "vis a vis" "notwithstanding" words that should not be used in the pub but pop out occasionally among non-grad friends

P

I have just finished reading On Beauty by Zadie Smith and there is a great bit of dialogue between a married couple having a row over something quite mundane. The husband is a proff, and he argues with his wife in academic speak and she is like f*** off with your "critical analysis", blah blah blah fool.

T

I play way too much table football now.