Postgraduateforum.com: The Band

W

Right, got to prepare for 3 hours of gruelling lectures later on. I've had very little sleep because I just couldn't drop off last night. However, while trying to fall to sleep I had a very excellent idea. I realise that the vast majority of us forumites are erudite professionals so, due to the nature of this thread, I have posted it in off-topics. I want to form a band with any interested forumites, all completely anonymous, communication online and only via this thread. I want our band to produce as song (I'm doing vocals) using some software I have for making music. The song will be about doing a PhD and, I'm really going to do this, when it's finished I'm going to send it to as many radio stations and record companies as possible and post all the responses we get on this thread. Hopefully, they'll be understanding and even welcoming of our unique song. Who knows, it could become the fastest selling single of all time.
So, what do we need?
We need names for the members of our band - exciting names. Also we need a name for our band! Then we need a name for our song and also some lyrics. What type of song should it be? Emo, goth, indie, pop, operatic?
When we've got the lyrics and the song is produced (which I'll do in my spare moments using my computer-jiggery software), I'll post it online for the collective approval of our band and then I'll get to work distributing, if we like it. I know it probably ranks as the stupidest idea of all time but this could be a lot of fun and I'd just love it if I could get Victoria Derbyshire to play it on her 5 Live music show. How many other PhD students become popstars during the course of their training? None. Until now.
:-)

M

Sounds good. How about 'The Procrastinators' as a name for the band? :p :-)

T

Painfully Educated? The unloved experts? The beleaguered spuds?
If you like I'll even let you borrow my deerstalker race team name; "Bambi Must Die".

Aside from that I have no musical ability, so I shall have to resign myself to being a groupie.

S

The Tortured Nerds?

Sounds a great idea :-) I've always wanted to be in a band - was once, years ago, but now... well.... my piano is dusty, flute and clarinet haven't seen the light of day in years and lets not mention the guitar - I had to hoover it the other day lol lol lol.

C

Production values? If it's going to be a cheap thing then it's going to reflect poorly on phd students everywhere.

M

Arrested development?!

hmm - how are the royalties going to be divided if we all write the song? Should it be by proportional to number of stars? :p

W

Quote From cleverclogs:

Production values? If it's going to be a cheap thing then it's going to reflect poorly on phd students everywhere.

Erm, actually, I have the finest music software known to mankind (idiot proof too). It'll be a metaphor for the high quality work produced by PhD students with limited resources. There'll be nothing cheap about this matey. Anyway, you're in post-doc limbo land now, so you're not even eligible to make this song. You could always write something for post-docs though. How about a song called Multiple Eternities?

Oh, thanks for settling that question on atoms for me - a really good answer.

W

Quote From teek:

Painfully Educated? The unloved experts? The beleaguered spuds?
If you like I'll even let you borrow my deerstalker race team name; "Bambi Must Die".

Aside from that I have no musical ability, so I shall have to resign myself to being a groupie.

Teek, it'll be an anonymous online band and I'll be using software to make the music, so no need to worry about playing an instrument - we just need lyrics and a song name.(up)

W

Not sure about the royalties sneaks, but when I'm doing adverts for Gilette with Tiger Woods and Loreal Adverts (after I've usurped Cheryl Cole), I promise I'll share the money with everyone.

I think the name of the band should be The Procrastinators. The Tortured Nerds is a bit too painfully realistic for me :-( And Arrested Development kind of described the current state of my social skills.

A

Name for band "Doctored".
Put me down to play ukulele.

M

Quote From walminskipeasucker:

I think the name of the band should be The Procrastinators.

Good choice.
;-)

Or maybe Dr Feelbad?

Im a classical cellist, classical and jazz trumpeter and play a little piano - (I mean I play a small amount of piano, not a small piano), although since startin my PhD my piano skills have gone from about grade 7 to basic disney songs haha.

My bro is a sound engineer and professional musician if you need any help with the studio side of things wal.

I vote for The Procrastinators

S

I like 'The Procrastinators' too. 'Doctored' isn't bad, but implies wishful thinking on our part!;) My bloke is also a sound engineer. And I vote we go for indie pop, a nice guitar pop tune.

for some reason it makes me think of the Dawson's Creek theme tune....

I don't wanna wait for my PhD to be over......