The cat on the stairs

D

My landlord's cat has taken to sleeping ON the stairs of late. Before he would sleep on the landing, which wasn't too bad although it's quite small and I would end up having to step over him in the morning to go to the bathroom.

But now he's taken to sleeping on the stairs themselves so I have to step over moving down at the same time.

I've tried talking to him about it but he just looks at me, gives a meow and curls up on the bed against my legs. Do you think I should try hypnosis? Cat spells? I fear I'm going to end up falling down the stairs one of these days...

M

As the owner of 4 cats I would say don't waste your money or hope on hypnosis, cat spells or polite conversation. Cats are immune to all suggestions and orders. They just do as they please.

I've had the same problem as you when they stopped sleeping on the landing and moved to the stairs. I found that by continually waking them up by moving them, picking them up or stroking them every time I saw one of them on the stairs, they got the message that that area was a hub of unwanted activity and they eventually took themselves off to pastures quiet and new and mostly out of the way. Sleep disturbance is annoying to everyone and the cat will eventually get the idea that the stairs are not a good chillout zone.

Of course. Your landlords cat may choose to defy you in which case see if you can get the landlord to build an alternative staircase so that you don't inconvenience the cat every time you go up and down ;-)

one way of making sure they never sleep there is to worm them while on the stairs - i.e. put a worming tablet down their throat.

You could also buy or make a little bed for them - mine tend to sleep on clothes that have missed the washing basket, which are all over the landing :$

P

we have 2 cats, and any efforts to control where they sleep have always failed! we've bought all sorts of cat beds, left out towels they like in suitable places, even cat treats to lure them to different parts of the house! but the bottom line i'm afraid is that cats tend to sleep wherever they like! however I would offer some reassurance in that it tends to go in phases, so whilst he may love the stairs at the moment, they'll go out of fashion eventually and he'll go somewhere else.

And I know it is hard to step over a cat on the stairs, but one of my cats runs straight across you as you approach the top of the stairs. You don't even know he's there, and the next thing, you're a split second away from hurtling down the stairs head first. So I know all about the fear you're talking about! i think cat's enjoy it if you ask me, definatly a streak of evil there!!

S

Cats are pure evil - we have 4! They will do what they please and if that suits you then they will change it - as they say, dogs have owners, cats have staff ;-) I'd agree with the suggestions to keep on disturbing him, he'll hate that, or to put a suitable bed in his favourite sleeping place - he'll hate that too and see it that you've given him permission to sleep there - no way he'll fall for that one and oblige you ;-) You have to play them at their own game - its hard to be cleverer than a cat though..... sometimes reverse psychology plays right into their furry little paws ;-)

D

After a crappy day at work, the responses have definitely made me laugh very loud!

Especially after being woken up at 5 am by said cat miaowing and scratching at my door to be let in...

I shall have to try patience and hope he finds a new place to sleep. I'm really bad at being patient so we'll see!

W

I've been waiting and waiting and I can't believe no-one has said this: water pistol. Now I know this may seem cruel, but it's not much worse than disturbing a cat's sleep. One squirt while the cat is sleeping on the stairs and it'll never sleep there again. As sure as a cat won't kip outside when it's raining, it won't kip on a stairs step it if gets a little zap from a water pistol. Watch me lose all my stars now:$

Quote From DanB:

Especially after being woken up at 5 am by said cat miaowing and scratching at my door to be let in...

NEVER open the door to this, or respond in any way. Otherwise you will have a 5am wake up call EVERY DAY.

S

Quote From walminskipeasucker:

water pistol. :$

this is really a good idea wally :-)
it doesnt hurt the cat, its just water
so will you get a water pistol Dan?
love satchi

C

The cat in my old house used to like to sleep on the stairs. It was ok in the day when you could see him, but I don't know who was more scared when I trod on him and nearly went flying! Didn't stop him sleeping there.

Maybe best suggestion is to move to a bungalow!

U

I've been told cats hate citrus. So perhaps cover the stairs in lemons?

W

Quote From ubu:

Why Ubu, you've sown the seed of a brilliant idea for the cat issue. For stopping cats scratching couches, you can buy this spray from a pet shop that they detest the smell of but we can't sense with our own olfactory systems. Now, if you put some of that on the stairs - it's a spray that doesn't stain or smell (to us) - you can be quite sure that it's not going to be a place where the cat will want to laze.

S

Quote From walminskipeasucker:

I've been waiting and waiting and I can't believe no-one has said this: water pistol.

Haha. I typed out a response in line with this sentiment but I didn't actually post it because I thought that it would be viewed as too mean.

This revelation leaves two possibilities; either I'm actually a big softie or Wally's dark side is coming out.......

On a related note, I've heard that squirrels, unlike birds, can taste heat (i.e. chilli) and that you should chilliify all food put out for birds.

A

Quote From ubu:

This does work, my Mum places oranges on the stairs to deter the cat.. it does work, but you must remember this when you are tired.. or there could be a massive accident!