A Positive Thread: Anyone out there staying sane???

R

Hi there... Since we have had such a backlash against 'Negative Posting'... Is there anyone out there staying sane (i.e. not going mad because of their PhD)???

There have quite a number of posts over the last week about health problems (mental and otherwise) due to PhD-related stress. I, for one, am extremely fond of my mental health and plan on keeping it!!!

Maybe people will say I don't care enough, and they could be right... But to me, getting a PhD (while very important to me) is just not worth messing my health up!

I think I am trying to see the big picture... that down the line, the things that matter to me are likely to be family rather than whether I got that PhD/job/promotion or whatever else there was to stress about along the way!

Would like to hear other people's thoughts and opinions!!!

S

i try to keep the bigger picture, too. just sometimes, the bigger picture is a bit depressing (why am I doing the PhD at my age? because i want to try for a career in academia. so i can't lose any more time. so i need to be very fast and efficient now and do everything at once!)
but i am staying sane, i believe, most of the time anyway. in some sense the PhD helps me to keep my sanity. in my last 8-5 job i had quite some trouble with sleeping, which didn't help with my mental health. now, when i can't sleep, i stay at home longer in the morning. i get the same amount of work done but at different times and am not over-tired all the time.
i also had a job at some time, with a lot of responsability, for a company, for people. that was very stressful. now, doing the PhD, i am responsible to myself and my research, that is a lot more manageable and indeed helps to keep me sane!

S

I'm sane- at least I think I am!!

H

I'm liking my PhD. I think I spend too much time doing not enough, hence spend a lot of time feeling guilty but I still enjoy the learning.

S

deciding to do PhD was the best decision I have made. I love it. I'm stressed juggling day job with PhD though, not PhD itself.

B

wibble

A

yes, i can see the point. however i think that things are not black or white. you can enjoy something and at the same time moan about it. it comes down to personal experiences. i for one have always been a very anxious person so it comes as no surprise that it affected the PhD as well.

O

I think I am staying sane. I have the every day aggravations that just come with life, like a very slow computer on a very slow network but other than that right now I do not have any major complaints. The PhD has its moments that are enjoyable, others that are boring, few that are highly stress ridden.

C

Yep staying sane too. I agree with ROsy - the PhD is important but not worth losing my mental health over. I manage to do a lot of non PhD things with my time (tho perhaps this won't happen so much in my second year... we wil see)

B

To be honest, I find this a bit offensive.

B

I think I meant "insensitive" rather than offensive.

R

Oh right, trying to find the positive in things is so insensitive of me... trying to be upbeat about things and not give into depression... you're right, I'm such a cow.

B

No, I don't think you're a cow - not in the least. And it's obviously good to find positive things to say.

I just meant that the way the original post was phrased sounded a little like a bit of a veiled criticism of people who were feeling negative (the word "backlash", I think). This could be quite upsetting if you are feeling negative, as many of us are.

B

I thought perhaps just saying "let's have a positive thread" might have been a bit more tactful. Just a thought, really.

R

When I said 'backlash against negative posting' I was referring to the other thread (which has now disappeared) in which people criticised Badhaircut for being negative about postdoc work.

I was not trying to belittle anyone who is suffering from health problems, mental or otherwise, PhD-related or otherwise...

I was simply trying to start a positive thread to say "I am trying not to get too stressed out about things".