Any words of encouragement?

D

Hi guys

There's not really anything specific I have to say other than my deadline for my corrections is Friday and I am absolutely biffing out about it. I still have so much to do and I'm working full time and I don't know how I'm going to get it done (Somehow I will but I don't know how).

My supervisor hasn't looked at hardly any of my chapters or amendments and what she has looked at she's pulled it apart for misuse of f**king possessive apostophes!! So that's adding to my stress that I've got roughly half of my thesis that she hasn't looked at.

How often to people get referred for an MPhil or fail following major corrections? That's my worry that after all this stress and heartache that it will still end up not passing.

E

Hi. I think taking the rest of this week as vacation is not a bad idea. Do what you can. I do not have statistics but if you have done the main part of the corrections, it is more likely you will pass with minor corrections. They tend not to downgrade or fail someone if there is a chance he/she produce a coherent thesis. Another round of minor correction is what you should expect and I think it is not a bad outcome.

B

Quote From Dr_Crabby:
Hi guys

How often to people get referred for an MPhil or fail following major corrections? That's my worry that after all this stress and heartache that it will still end up not passing.

Recently my University ran a what-to-expect-at-your-viva workshop where this was one of the FAQs posed by researchers. We were advised that although a lower (MPhil) award following major corrections is one of the possible outcomes, at my institution, at least, it is an exceptionally rare occurrence. If I recall correctly the official statistic quoted to us was something like 2/137 major correction results following a viva over the last 10 years were downgraded to MPhil, with only 1 failing outright. Of course, those are the statistics at my institution, you may want to obtain the relevant statistics for your own institution, it might help put your mind at rest. Good luck, I hope you get them submitted on time (I’ve read your posts on here and feel your pain!) and all of this malarkey will be a thing of the past : )

P

Dr Crabby, if your report is due on Friday then you can't afford to waste time fretting over anything you can't control. Somehow you need to focus on the report. Personally, I would have taken holiday time off work to get this done. It's not too late for that.

Worrying about anything else right now jeopardises your chances of finishing on time.