Coloured diagrams in thesis?

H

Hi,

I'm just wondering if any of you placed coloured diagrams in your thesis or did you design them to be black and white?

I don't personally have a colour printer so I am weary of using coloured diagrams BUT they do look good. And am I correct in thinking that examiners will be posted a hard copy of the thesis that you submit? I'm in the UK btw.

Thanks

T

I made mine very colourful. I bet the examiners hated it!

Seriously though, a bit of colour is good. I printed mine at uni for free.

And yes the examiners will get a soft bound copy of your thesis (printed by you, sent by the uni) prior to your viva.

D

Yes, I used lots of coloured maps etc. I did the graphs in grayscale and printed them colour (looks better). I printed separately on good quality paper, and asked them to post to binders (too expensive).

H

Quote From DrJeckyll:
Yes, I used lots of coloured maps etc. I did the graphs in grayscale and printed them colour (looks better). I printed separately on good quality paper, and asked them to post to binders (too expensive).

Thanks. How do you do them in greyscale and print them in colour?

H

Quote From TreeofLife:
I made mine very colourful. I bet the examiners hated it!

Seriously though, a bit of colour is good. I printed mine at uni for free.

And yes the examiners will get a soft bound copy of your thesis (printed by you, sent by the uni) prior to your viva.

Thanks! :)

G

Yep I used colour - thought it brightened up the document. I also printed my thesis off in uni (I had printer credit there), printing the colour pages separately.

I reckon it was worth it :)

C

I had 6 or 7 colour figures.

For the graphs I used grey bars to keep down printing costs. Unfortunately when I did my final binding I got it printed at university, and they printed these in colour rather than greyscale. Although this looked good, as I was printing 5 copies and there were about 30 pages that included at least one graph, this added £30 to my printing costs!