Could God help us?

S

Do you think there is any kind of correlation between believing in some religion and educational level? Just for my own record...

D

Umm, well, I'm Church in Wales ...

S

I mean, is there a correlation between believing in God (no matter which religion) and educational level or IQ (I do not assume here that there is a relation between high educational level and IQ at all ).

S

I agree DanB. Just read that the highest percentage of atheists are Europeans and North Americans. This should tell us something...

S

Lots of the girls who went to my Roman Catholic school got pregnant and dropped out of education so I guess there's a correlation there

I will keep my opinion about the relationship/ratio between the religious belief and IQ, to myself (as it upsets many people and I don't want to do that on this forum), but I too agree with what DanB says. And I dream of a religionless world...

E

It is hard for an intellegent athiest (like myself ;) )to understand how another intellegent human, with the same access to information, literature etc. could "get sucked in" by religion. From what I've noticed, however, I don't think there is any relationship between intellegence and religion. Strange.

H

I had this conversation recently with an atheist.

I'm actually quite religious but I am able to be a scientist at the same time. Being a Hindu, I find that my religion is more spiritual and the teachings are based upon being a better person and living a healthy lifestyle. For example, praying is just a form of meditation, when I do it, I feel calmer. There are a load of silly customs but I relate them to superstitions.

M

I think it's actually hard to believe in God when you explore science. On the other hand I have heard that most really good scientist reaching the edge of what can be explored suddenly come back to religion as if they have experienced something spiritual in their research.

I belive in supernatural powers, call it energy or aura or karma or God. Not everything can be defined, described and measured.

D

Depends on who god is!!!

D

Just as some people here cant understand how an intelligent person could believe in God, I find it bizarre that some intelligent people dont believe in God.

The weirdest comment I ever heard was a friend saying to me "I dont believe in God cos there's absolutely no evidence for his or her existence." We were standing in the middle of the Welsh countryside at the time next to a gushing waterfall!

I agree that religion is largely sociological, but think that there is definately a God/divine being/ call it whatever, and I'm proud to be Church in Wales!

S

DanB! You're not???!!!

S

I know that God can help us. He helped me before.
I do not think there is a relation between relegion and higher education/ intellegience.
I know that there God exists, and I believe that He relates to people in some way. I do not think that any particular relegion is superior to another. They all contain lots of superstions and are subject to different interpretations , but hink they reflect some basic human experience and need.

R

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1576835103

How to stay Christian in college (university)

S

I think the very super intellegant believe in God and also the biggest idiots. I think people who read the holy book (bible or any other) literally are narrow minded and this is what leads to terrorists/homophobes etc.
I never really believed in God, but my gran died and my wee cousin asked if she went to heaven,hell or was the ash in the pot grandad had. I answered heaven, any other answer would have upset her. So maybe religion is just there to make us feel better and take away the guilt because someone else makes all the decisions not us.
Does this make sense?