Fees after end of studentship?

J

Hi everyone,

Forgive me if this is a silly question, but I was wondering if anyone might know the answer...

I'm very fortunate to have been funded through AHRC for 3 year full-time phd (no way I could even think about doing it otherwise). Does anybody know whether, if you take longer than the 3 years to complete, you would have to pay fees to the university yourself after the studentship ended? Or, because there's a 3 year basic rate for all full time PhDs, are you then no longer required to pay?

Advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Jenny

S

I believe that you would have to pay a 'write up' fee which varies between universities but won't be as much as the full fees.

J

Thanks Star-shaped...on the uni website it lists non-supervised writing up students' fees as £90, which I'm sure I could afford, if I have in fact found the correct figure!

P

======= Date Modified 17 Jan 2011 17:37:25 =======
Hi. I had a similar PhD studentship, but with the ESRC.

In my fourth year (extension year) I received no further funds from the ESRC, so I found myself a job at another university (UCL).

I paid £450 to the university for continued supervision in my extension year. If I failed to submit at the end of the extension year, I would have had to pay over £900 pounds (as a penalty or something along those lines!).

I hope this helps!

D

Jenny, the write-up fee for my uni is £400 for the year. You will only have 12 months to complete write-up at this reduced fee. It is a supervised phase as the supervisor is very much a part of the writing up period as they check over the work. However, it precludes the use of lab facilities, statisticians etc and covers the use of library, IT facilities. I would check that the fee you have found is the correct one as it seems much less than we pay.

B

I don't find £90 unusual. It's £120 in my university.

C

It was £150 at my uni :-)

B

90 pounds at mine.

W

I think I was really lucky at my university. There are no fees at all for the write-up year or any extensions thereafter.

I've just been demanded to pay £300 for my writing up year - or they'd chuck me off the course and send the bailiffs round. Really supportive uni I'm at :-(

W

You are lucky Wal... we get one year free, then it changes year by year. It is a percentage of the full fees for years 5+.

Sneaks, you have no manner of luck when it comes to support from the uni.

P

At the end of my extension year, if I did not pay the write up year fees or submit in time, my supervisors said I was risking not receiving a degree and I would not be allowed to attend a viva. Hence the pressure to submit in time!

C

Hi Folks

Personally i'm staggered that an instituion will charge any fees during the write up year, virtually nobody gets done and handed in after exactly 3 years these days. Surely charging someone the extra dosh when money is going to be tight anyway, and trying to earn money will distract from the job in hand must be counter productive to what the university wants - all its students done in 4 years.

My old instituion charged no fees, although you were placed in "registration only mode" which meant no access to facilities such as the sports centre or joining of societies was allowed, but you were allowed access to your department and the library. They also didn't stop me visiting the bar and shops on campus though, strange that.

C

I should add, after 4th year they come down like a ton of bricks (£500 approx registration fees)

D

Was same at my uni, no fees for fourth year writing up stage, but around 500 quid a year after that. You really need to check with your uni, as it looks like there are wildly differing amounts.