finish in 3 years?

Who else is thinking that the three year goal is slowly slipping out of reach?

I don't really want to hear from people who are perfect and will have it done cos I'm feeling grumpy and need people who will make me feel better :p (snowman)

A

right there with u girl....i soo badly want to finish on time, but with everything i have to do, 10 months doesnt seem like enough....major grump today, altho not caused by work but stupid boys...pffff

I always think it seems like ages, but when it takes you three weeks to analyse a bit of data it just seems impossible. And everyone keeps asking me to do stuff that is non-PhD and I just can't say no and now I'm stressing about not having any income in october aaaaaaaarrrghhhhhhhh! :-s

oh and boys can be rubbish! although my hubby's bday is on weds, so we have now entered the 'bday week' so nothing can be said against him haha

S

Well the goal has already slipped by for me. Wondering if I can actually finish in 4!

W

I'll never manage to do mine in four years. No matter what I do, making progress boils down to one things: participation of others. Without participants I don't get data and without data I can't make progress. Things are very crap for me at the moment. And Christmas...don't even get me started on that! Yum, comfort eating time: (robin)(robin)(robin)(turkey)(snowman) And for afters: (mince)

K

Hey, I'm completely in the same boat as Walminski...my progress is directly related to success with recruiting participants. And progress with that can be extremely slow! Although I am only in second year at the moment, I am not really expecting to finish in three years- I don't know of many people doing a project in clinical psychology who have finished on time for this reason and it is very common to need a fourth year. I am of course aiming to finish in three years but it would take a miracle (especially with my broken foot!). Oh well, we can all live in hope and delude ourselves for a while longer! Is that negative enough for you Sneaks?!! KB

A

extremely rubbish! ever get the feeling ur work isnt as important as theirs, u cant do anything right and even tho u bend over backwards so much ur doing a loop the loop ur still not supportive enough...?? but i digress! situation with the paper is nearly sorted yay! hope ur itchy foot isnt driving u too mad keenbean, ive learned chopsticks are very good for when the itching gets too much! I never went anywhere without one when i broke my wrist, nice!!

mince pies all round... (mince)(mince)(mince)
just need a tin of roses and quality street now....

W

Quote From keenbean:

Hey, I'm completely in the same boat as Walminski...my progress is directly related to success with recruiting participants. And progress with that can be extremely slow! Although I am only in second year at the moment, I am not really expecting to finish in three years- I don't know of many people doing a project in clinical psychology who have finished on time for this reason and it is very common to need a fourth year. I am of course aiming to finish in three years but it would take a miracle (especially with my broken foot!). Oh well, we can all live in hope and delude ourselves for a while longer! Is that negative enough for you Sneaks?!! KB

Keenbean, you could always try a hair dryer set to cool if the itchy skin of your foot is a bit accessible.

K

Quote From walminskipeasucker:

Quote From keenbean:

Keenbean, you could always try a hair dryer set to cool if the itchy skin of your foot is a bit accessible.

Eh?! Did I miss something? Itchy feet? Sorry- I am obviously having a slightly slow day. I didn't mean that Sneaks was being negative, it was just in reference to the fact that he/she (I don't actually know!) only wanted to hear from the ones amongst us who were not anticipating finishing on time...hence I responded because I am feeling somewhat negative about being done in three years! Sorry if that came across wrong...I wasn't trying to accuse Sneaks of being negative, it was only meant in jest! KB

S

Hi Sneaks

Me too, me too. My 3 years is up in March, but no way am I going to be done by then - haven't even got a complete first draft done, let alone second, third and all the extras! I'm hoping to be done with an extra 3 mths to June, that will be pushing it, but if I work myself to death over the next 6 mths I might just make it. But this means I probably won't actually graduate until May 2011. AARRGGHHHH!

And Walminski, sympathies for your field work - I also relied on the participation of others, and my field work took me 2 years. You'll get there - a break through will come, data will start flowing and it will be lovely.

C

My funding runs out Oct 2010 and I really can't see my PhD being done by then. I have two main problems, the first is needing to recruit participants, which is ok but I keep putting off phoning them and I don't know why! The second is the fact that I have not written anything yet. everyone kept saying to write up as you go along but I never quite got round to doing any writing....:$

My supervisor keeps mentioning what I'm going to do next and seems :to think I'll have no problem finishing on time. I haven't quite told her I'd rather go over 3 years than stress myself out working ridiculous hours (read don't want to get in in the morning!). Anyway still gonna take some time off and enjoy the festive period (robin)

F

I had 3 years in the neck from before I started as was on an AHRC funded project, who also funded my PhD. I submitted recently in 3 years and 2 months...I did it by writing up 2 chapters by end of year two to 80% of final level, then writing bits daily and then taking six month at the end to completely write up. I was 95% there within the 3 years but its hard work and majorly stressfully. It can be done but I felt grotchy and grumpy and needed lots of tea to get me there.

S

3 years?! I'll be done in two, tops. Then I'll get a Professorship and publish my PhD as a best-selling book that wins both the Booker and the Nobel Peace prize.

I say this as my first deadline has slipped away without me having done the work I said I would. Hmmmm.

V

Any PhD in any science discipline, no hope in hell of finishing the 3 years. It's more like four, one person in my lab is reaching 6. I'm doing my PhD in genetics, so like many others in my department we are all tired, grumpy and know we will be here for years and years to come. That when the pub across the road is handy.

I hate cloning.

The end.