Google Chrome vs Firefox

H

Hi all,

Which browser do you use and which one do you think is better?

Ive currently got Firefox with Zotero as an extension, but it keeps crashing. I don't know if that is because of Zotero or Firefox has its own internal problems, hence I'm thinking of moving to Google Chrome, but I'm unsure ...

P

I have very few requirements for a browser. In order of priority:

1. It doesn't crash more than once a week
2. It is generally compatible and works as you would expect a browser to work
3. I can very easily sync my bookmarks with an iPhone/iPad
4. I can very easily sync my bookmarks and history with other machines
5. I can intuitively read and save PDF's through it.

Safari is the only one that does all five. Plus I like that Top Sites screen with the bendy screenshots.

Open source does not come into it. In fact, it rarely does with anything.

S

I'd like to use open-source, but chrome is just fantastic for what I need. Quick and easy internet access. Not asking for anything fancy. It may do fancy stuff, but I don't know cos I don't need it.

R

I like using google chrome, it just seems 'nicer' and more user friendly than the others although I don't really use it for fancy stuff.

C

Quote From screamingaddabs:

I'd like to use open-source, but chrome is just fantastic for what I need. Quick and easy internet access. Not asking for anything fancy. It may do fancy stuff, but I don't know cos I don't need it.

http://www.srware.net/en/software_srware_iron.php - chrome minus the potentially nasty google-data-grabbingness :)

I like chrome - it kind of has the same feel as Mario games on the nintendo - all colourful and simply laid out.

However, I always have to have an IE page open too as my university push email won't work as well on chrome - it has this safe mode which is rubbish and doesn't 'ding' when I have a message come iin.

H

Quote From sneaks:

I like chrome - it kind of has the same feel as Mario games on the nintendo - all colourful and simply laid out.

However, I always have to have an IE page open too as my university push email won't work as well on chrome - it has this safe mode which is rubbish and doesn't 'ding' when I have a message come iin.

How do you get Chrome to open a PDF in the browser instead of downloading it?

I can do that - but not entirely sure how - I think I right click, open the pdf in a new window (often after it has already opened in an existing window), then right click on it in the new window and then at that point, the right click menu suddenly says 'save as...'

I agree the pdf thing with chrome is annoying, but for some reason firefox and IE are both v slow on my computer.

B

Why do you exclude Opera?

whenever I've used opera it always comes up with pages that you can't see on that browser which is irritating

S

Ok, thanks for the suggestion, I am now on Iron.

Sounds better as well, kind of like a no-nonsense chrome.

S

======= Date Modified 06 Jul 2011 05:35:57 =======
======= Date Modified 06 Jul 2011 05:35:00 =======
======= Date Modified 06 Jul 2011 05:34:34 =======
No no Firefox is best browser,i think problem because you using Zotero ,So i suggest you to use the Firefox version 4 that is best for you!!!
You can download through Online and use it.Because Firefox and chrome is best browser,also it's fast ,secure one..Firefox has many addons,download manager ..Google has in built flash..so it's also best.my Internet and browsing speed is good while using those browsers,I checked my downloading and Uploading speed at
http://www.scanmyspeed.com/ The ScanmySpeed Internet connection test checks the actual browsing speed of your browser and Internet connection

C

I really likes firefox until the last update when they got rid of the little arrow next to the back button so you could only go back to previous page and not pick where you want to go back to.

I'm back on internet explorer, but need to do something. My lap top will not display my yahoo.com email. I don't know why because it works fine on my uni computer which uses internet explorer.

But apart from that I find internet explorer fine.

Quote From catalinbond:

I really likes firefox until the last update when they got rid of the little arrow next to the back button so you could only go back to previous page and not pick where you want to go back to.

I'm back on internet explorer, but need to do something. My lap top will not display my yahoo.com email. I don't know why because it works fine on my uni computer which uses internet explorer.

But apart from that I find internet explorer fine.

Isn't there an option somewhere to restore the little arrow? Isn't the functionality still available? I can still get the recent history in Firefox 5.

C

Re the little arrow.... ooh I don't know. Maybe will download firefox and look for it later. I did like firefox when I used it.