hair loss in PhD students

L

Hi everybody!

my PhD is so stressfull that my hair is starting to fall out in big clumps - arrghh! has this sort of thig happened to anybody else?

I think i will start taking multivitamins!!

P

Gosh, loopylou, I am sorry to hear that. Maybe you need to talk to your doctor or find some ways that might help you minimise your stress. Meditation? Yoga? Exercise? Medication?

I read somewhere stress will make it happen and then a friend of a friend had it happen (she was going through a divorce). Since then I have worried that it will happen to me too, because in the last 12 months I have had all sorts of worries (not just PhD, but that was a big part of it).

Hope you get better soon, loopylou.

J

Apparantly there are lots of reasons, and it's usually temporary and stress-related. Two people I know had this; one had survived a bomb, but the other had no discernable stress and was completely healthy. Their hair just thinned out rather than fell out altogether, and wasn't too noticable.

H

Me!

Lots of my hair fell out. Apparantly you must have iron levels of about 15mg to have good hair growth. I take iron supplements everyday now and feel a lot better and have more hair.

D

Apparently (according to my hairdresser, a fount of knowledge on these matters ), apparently its also natural to loose more hair in this season as well... ok back to writing first chapter...boo hoo

F

I have had alopecia for over 15 years, so any questions just ask

D

hi fifi, whats alopecia? Ive got psorisis sometimes when im stressed out a lot (think thats how u spell it) :-/

J

sorry Miss, didn't mean to trivialise it. I've had that many bad haircuts in my life I know how hair can affect your self-image. I might do as H says and start taking iron, my hair's always been flat and lifeless anyway

D

hi juno :) nice to meet you, i have flat hair too but then mines always straight :( and its falling out lately duno what to do.. is it really about iron? x

F

Alopecia = baldness. I used to have no hair anywhere, from my head to my legs, didn't do much for self confidence. However, recently with my move and relaxing (& other private stuff), my hair is growing everywhere...I just need to relax more (as my doc said today, it isn't doing my heart good living on my nerves).

D

Fifi im glad that now your relaxing and its getting better, unfortunately my psorasis is mostly on scalp and it gets horrid when ppl point it out :( it gets triggered quickly by stress but ive found aloe vera and olive oil very useful. x

S

I agree. Iron has helped me too. Although it takes 1-2 months to see the results but iron supplements do work. I went to a dermatologist for my hair loss a year ago, and what she suggested apart from taking iron supplements and vitamins was massage the scalp each time you shampoo, reduce the use of hairbands for the moment, use a good special shampoo for hair loss for 1-2 months and drink lots of water for healthy looking hair. I think a combination of all these works great! My hair looks much healthier (and shiny) now. I hope this helps!

H

Yep and don't take ferrous sulfate (bloats and constipates most people and you get black poo). The best supplement I have found is ferrous gluconate which can be prescribed or over the counter.

L

Thanks everybody for the advice! I shall get some iron suplements!

F

Also, relax (something my body finds almost impossible)...find some lavender oil, as I have found that relaxs me...if you can abide camomile have some tea. I wanted to try yoga, but my joints become so painful sometimes, I don't know if its worth it.