I am 40 and need a Bachelors Degree….any suggestions?

F

Hey I am 40 and this is getting on my nerves …I need an Online Bachelors degree to make my life and family secure. I have been working as an electronic technician for 20 years. I have also spent 10 years as a labor representative (Union). Now I am tired of watching other’s with any kind of B. degree move ahead and not me. I do not need an Engineering degree. Just something that says B. degree on it. My company does not have a generous tuition reimbursement. I also need my degree fast…I am not getting any younger. All this is making my family worried about me. I have info about online B.degrees but need accredited ones to earn a better future. It would be pleasant of you folks if you can provide me with useful inputs. I know that there are options like PU, Ashford …but can you suggest some more to make me decide better considering the finance issue.

S

Have you considered the OU? Not sure that there's much that you can do about the speed - especially if you are working at the same time.

O

Judging from the poster's 'lingo' this is an American. So what this has to do with a PhD issue in the UK is a bit questionable.

S

Come on, Olivia, give a man a break. Well, Franklin, forget about ur age. I know a guy who started his doctorate at 50 yrs old. Well, I agree with Smilo, I m sure u can find some sort of management degree at OU. Just get it enrol, don’t procrastinate; and hang on to it hard. Another thing is, I am sure there are univ’s that give some sort of credit for your working experience.
Good luck mate.

J

I agree with Olivia. Lately, this forum has been spammed with posters who either cannot read, have no brain or just don't know what they want to know. This is, after all, a Postgrad Forum, so expecting certain degrees of literacy and intelligence appears like a legitimate expectation to me.

J

This is NOT the Oracle of Delphi.

B

Maybe I'm being cynical, but something about this just doesn't seem very 'real' to me.

But then I am not the most trusting of people. Sorry if I'm wrong Franklin

J

well, in the UK I would suggest going for the MSc option, its do-able in one year, even if you are working full time - I would have done mine in this time, except I had to wait for the last module to be offered. In other countries I'm not so sure, but there must be something similar.

G

Wasn't ware you could enroll on a Master's degree with no undergraduate degree whatsoever.

M

some Masters courses will accept you with relevant work experience, even if no first degree/bachelors.

in the UK, unions often have funds for learning, especially if you have been a union rep, maybe in the US too?

G

"...some Masters courses will accept you with relevant work experience, even if no first degree/bachelors".

I'm amazed. Then again thinking about how certain Universities work, maybe I'm not.

J

professional qualifications are taken into account, for example I have a fellowship in cell pathology, which you can only do if you already have a degree plus one year working in the area,(or the associateship if you took the exams before the degree course was invented). Also I think you can produce an essay on the subject to show you have the ability to work at that level. So you can get in without, although it might be quite difficult to keep up if you have to learn everything about assignment writing etc. from scratch

G

I think its all a relatively mute point. The person concerned doesn't appear to have the funds for a Postgraduate education (even if he could find a Uni to take him).

D

I really feel that the fact that a mans promotion is counted on the stake of a degree considering his experience is a bit awkward but its all about the corporations rules as I might think .Not all companies have policies like these but a degree relates to your educational experience. Like you already suggested PU and Ashford are good but if you want more options I think that this link

will help you to make a better decision. (And considering the company reimbursement...That’s not an issue I feel cause you can get yourself better be it them or no).

M

a colleague on my MSc had no formal education beyond 18. he had lots of practical experience in the subject tho, which is why my uni accepted him onto an MSc. he did really well, got a merit.