My final push diary

S

Did you get it all sorted? I hope so...

B

To the final pushers amongst us, how is it all going? I hope PamW got it submitted and she's still sleeping/resting/recovering. Well done!

9 days to go for me. Still lots to do and had a wee moment today! Just one of those 'what's the point/loads to do/dunno what I'm saying/there's no way it'll be done in time' overhwhelming/confidence crushing feelings. I'm sure some of you can relate. Anyway, after a good blub, hot shower and a few 'cheer up' biscuits, I'm working on putting whole thing together (still have to write discussion/conc- hey ho). It is taking ages but it is quite satisfying seeing the volume. Will finish this and start the discussion later on.... will be a late one again.

Good luck to us!(up)

L

Thought I'd post in here as I'm having one of those days today.

I'm submitting mid-Sept and currently redrafting/revising/tightening up the 5 chapters of my thesis. My sup wants to see a full draft in 2 weeks so I'm working toward that at the moment.

I started last week looking at chapter 2 as it was the weakest of the 5 and it took me about a week to rewrite it. I couldn't decide on the structure of the chapter - it has 3 separate yet interrelated sections - but I think I'm happy with it now.

In contrast to that I have revised chapter one in 2 days.

I also received feedback from my sup on the 5th and final chapter earlier in the week. I read it and all I could see was the negative but rereading it today he actually thinks that it works, I just need to rework a couple of paragraphs.

I believe at this stage its a test of nerve more than anything so I am staying focused. Not exactly cool and calm, more like steady and controlled.

Good luck everyone.

E

Hi there - I am also in the final push. I am aiming for a submission at the start of October and have done nothing all this week! (the guilt is pretty bad but I keep procrastinating) I am at a sort of limbo stage as I have printed out my first full drafts and given copies to my two supervisors (on 17th July) but havent heard a word since. I knew it would take a good few weeks for them to get through 80-odd thousand words so I deliberately did not write a conclusion for the draft so I could work on it in the meantime. I have arranged my notes etc. for it, but havent started writing. I find I just keep wondering about the looming feedback - if its going to be bad, if they want me to do more than I can in the time I have left... All this worry isnt helped by the fact that I have yet to apply for any jobs - Northern Ireland is a pityfully small place and there seems to be no jobs on the horizon for me! (why did I do history of ART, pfft.)

B

1 day til submission. Still re-writing bits and editing this afternoon. Printing this evening. Binding and submission tomorrow. I am beyond tired....But champagne is chilling in anticipation....

P

Keep going Blackbyrd, you can do it. You will soon be in the same position as me - finished!! I never thought I would get there.
One thing though, I can't remember if you have mentioned this in any posts but my printing took so much longer than I thought it would, so I hope you have either got a fast printer or are getting it done professionally.

Good luck
Pam

A

======= Date Modified 11 Aug 2012 08:37:16 =======
======= Date Modified 11 Aug 2012 08:31:55 =======
This is a brilliant idea! I will post update too since I have to submit on 30 of November 2012. Thank you very much, PamW!
I have written my first draft. My supervisor advise me to make some changes in the thesis structure, to move different parts which I did. I also updated the data processing.
I need to focus in writing conclusions for each chapter, thesis conclusions and thesis introduction.

P

Hi Blackbyrd. I assume you have submitted and are now sleeping or relaxing or celebrating. Hope it went OK without too much hassle. It's a great feeling isn't it?

A

Congratulations PamW for your submission. I am following your example to track my progress. Good luck in your career! Regards.Ana

A

Quote From larrydavid:

Thought I'd post in here as I'm having one of those days today.

I'm submitting mid-Sept and currently redrafting/revising/tightening up the 5 chapters of my thesis. My sup wants to see a full draft in 2 weeks so I'm working toward that at the moment.

I started last week looking at chapter 2 as it was the weakest of the 5 and it took me about a week to rewrite it. I couldn't decide on the structure of the chapter - it has 3 separate yet interrelated sections - but I think I'm happy with it now.

In contrast to that I have revised chapter one in 2 days.

I also received feedback from my sup on the 5th and final chapter earlier in the week. I read it and all I could see was the negative but rereading it today he actually thinks that it works, I just need to rework a couple of paragraphs.

I believe at this stage its a test of nerve more than anything so I am staying focused. Not exactly cool and calm, more like steady and controlled.

Good luck everyone.

Good luck! You are very right we need to stay "steady and controlled"

L

======= Date Modified 28 Aug 2012 12:02:37 =======
Well I got an email today from my sup after I submitted the final draft of the thesis to him last week. I'm due to submit mid Sept. He is happy with the changes I've made and thinks I will need, at the most, a couple of days to complete final tidy ups that he's identified. HUGE relief. Meeting him beginning of next week so I will have a couple of weeks to check formatting (although I've already proofread it twice for typos after submitting him the final draft copy - its amazing how many you see each time you read the bloody thing). Then its just getting it bound for submission.

Those 18 hour days for 2 weeks before handing the final draft into him were worth it!

Lets keep going guys!!!!!!

B

Hi Pam,

Did indeed hand it in August 10th. The last few weeks of the process were a blur. I've got my viva next week and have opened thesis today and eurgh! there's so many things wrong. So much for all the meticulous checking!!! Words missing in sentences etc. It was all a bit of a rush towards the end. I was still writing/editing at 5pm the day before. Printing was not too bad but I did have some issues with it. Binding it proved tricky as apparently paper was too thick to fit it all in so I had to separate into main thesis and appendices so got doubly charged for binding... Grrr. BUT, I DID NOT CARE!! Celebrated with lots of fizz, friends and food.
Started work now so getting into the swing but I swear I am still tired and getting used to having guilt-free evenings and weekends (that is until the viva corrections....) Getting nervous about that but am getting on a plane the day after for a lovely holiday so they can wait!! Hope all is well with you and to the other final pushers, I hope the end is in sight and/or you're done.
:-)

P

Glad to hear you got there in the end Blackbyrd and your viva has come round very quickly. I'm still waiting to hear about mine. I know what you mean about being tired and feeling guilty - it doesn't all just go away when you hand in.
Have a great holiday and good luck with the viva.

C

Two weeks til I submit....

Need to finish the final chapter
Work on the chapter summaries
Do/collate the references
Proof read x 10000.

AAAHHHHH GODDDD

======= Date Modified 09 Sep 2012 23:52:32 =======
Congratulations Pam on submitting and hope all goes well with viva. Good luck to everyone else here on this post who is very, very close to submission! Thinking of you and wishing I was that close to the finish line myself (sigh).(up):-)