Pregnancy during PhD

G

Hi all,
I am new to this site as only had my PhD interview on Tues.
Was offered a place that afternoon, which I have accepted,
so start my PhD in Sept!
Anyway, I just wondered.. has anyone been pregnant during their PhD or is anyone currently pregnant and researching?
I am a 27yo female and have one child, an 11.5 month old baby boy, and am just considering when- during my 5/6 year Part Time PhD program, to consider trying for my second.
I had my first pregnancy/baby during my MEd study, and found it no problem handling both,
but I know PhD study will be very different.
Any comments or advice or info on if I am being completely crazy even CONSIDERING this would be greatly appreciated!!
Thanks! Xx

L

Hi,

I just wondered how long did it take for u to get the official offer letter.. I am just wondering because I was offered a phd last week and dint hear from the professor yet..
I know its irrelevant to ur post.. but could u plz ans this,,

Quote From lillypotter:

Hi,

I just wondered how long did it take for u to get the official offer letter.. I am just wondering because I was offered a phd last week and dint hear from the professor yet..

It took me a good few weeks - however I think this varies massively from uni to uni and even department to department. I wouldn't worry!

Hi Geekchick,
firstly congratulations on your acceptance. I have had a baby and continued to work full time during my PhD so, yes, it is possible. However possible and ideal are two different things! I am studying part time, and working full time, and my son is now two. I had him whilst in my 2nd year. You can always take a short deferment for the first few months, although I continued to plough on.
You just need to be super organised, and not be a fan of sleep, but then that is what having a baby is about anyway.
Best of luck with your start in September. If you have come this far then you will find a way!

G

Quote From lillypotter:

Hi,

Dear Lillypotter- I received an email that evening which details the offer of the place and has term dates, but havent received official letter yet. Well done on your offer :-)

G

Dear 123Giblet,
Thanks so much for your very helpful comment which has helped me to see I'm not the only (soon-to-be) PhD student with the idea of having a baby while researching! I guess youre right that it's all about organisation and time mangement.
Good luck with your future studies- and babies! Xx

M

You should be fine. In fact, people say that the best time for having a baby is during a PhD.