Strating Soooon....eeep!

M

======= Date Modified 26 59 2008 09:59:31 =======
Hi guys,

My start date is 1 Oct but I came over and moved in a little earlier so I could get paperwork sorted out and go to a couple of lab gatherings and such. I've been doing a little background reading but nothing totally substantial. So I'm at a bit of a loose end, sitting in my room alone, wondering what the first say is supposed to be like.

They haven't said anything about what I'm supposed to do when I first arrive on that day. So I was wondering what the general practise is. Do I turn up at 9 and sit and my desk, or go to one of the supervisors rooms? I have no idea, and it feels like a totally silly question to be raising, but it's niggling at me and I know you guys probably won't laugh at me.

Thanks. x

EDIT: Damn! I've stupidly not checked spelling errors on the title....doh! Now I really do look stupid. Hehe. I do have impeccable spelling skills usually too. x

T

When I started I had to go to an induction meeting first and then after that we met our supervisors. My supervisor rang me the day before it was all due to start to let me know what was happening but I did get some information from the grad studies office too. If in doubt you could ring/email the grad studies office to find out what the plan of action is or contact your supervisor to see what you are supposed to do. In my first few weeks I felt totally lost and took a bit of time for me to find my feet.

What you going to be doing?

P

Hi, nobody wil laugh at you, we are all splendid people here who write splendid stuff !!! LOL!! :) Be confident...

Hmm, first day, well I am a starting PhD too, though I am in the social sciences, am continuing in my Masters institution, with the same supervisor who I have a fantastic rapport with, and email so often...so, what i'm saying is in my case, we have a date fixed up for the first phd meeting, though we've been meeting at conferences over september, many times..

why dont you email you sup and ask them? all univs have phd inductions, orientation events blah blah where you get to meet your research people, people also entering this yr, meet the faculty, current students etc....the induction week is meant for that...for example, in my dept, 1st oct has the departmental phd induction meeting, and the departmental phd welcome party as well...so, given that i am the only internal cnadidate and the others are all newbies, we'll all be going to these things ont he 1st...

apart from the schedule thats drawn out i think you can always go check out the department, and emailing your sup (in case they havent raised the issue of a proper meeting themselves) isnt a bad idea either..

above all...theres a long walk ahead mate...keep happy and brave!!! :P

B

Hey MicroGeek/Newbie,
Make contact with your supervisor first - as suggested send that email requesting a meeting.
Was gonna spew some s*ite about attitude, but as you prob guess from reading the forum, you'll need to build up a good resolve.

One tip - GET THE PC SORTED ASAP! If not you'll be stuck with a slower-than-Tuesday windup machine that Tomy would be proud of. If you know specifically what software you need, get that sorted in the first week. Ask the supervisor who to contact and diplomatically request the machine (ok, you maybe stuck with a bad PC for a few weeks, but at least make sure there is a good one on the way).

It will take time to find your feet but enjoy that time ... remember its a PhD, not a sentence at Oz (the prison series, not the country ... although whats the difference says you :p ... any Aussies, I'm only kidding)

T

Yep, your supervisor should give you a little guidance to start you off - maybe asking for a report on the general field, and then asking you to focus on a few issues. I remember that first day though, feels quite strange! Good to go to some lab events and get to know people.

C

you sound like me a year ago. My first day was all about campus tour, introduction to where I's be based, sorting library cards etc. I had nothing planned with my supservisors so I turned up at their offices and just said Hi, and arranged to meet up with them. They gave me guidance on what to look at those first few weeks.

good luck with the start.

M

Hello everyone. Thanks for your replies. They're all very useful.

I've just come back from a 3 course lunch with quite a few people from the department, including those from my research group and a coule ohter related ones. So I've managed to get to know them through that a little bit. We have a Intro evening for all postgraduates on the 8th which is quite a way after I start and I can't wait for that (a week is a long time for me). Other than that all I know is that I have to come in on Wednesday morning and my sup's won't be around...hehe. I have a copy of the research proposal and have been working from that, but I feel these things should be reiterated in another meeting but have been told there won't be one.

The computer I've got does seem to be really slow, but I think it's just been mistreated because it is a new series dell afterall and shouldn't be that slow. Luckily I know a bit about optimising them so I can sort that for whilst I'm waiting on the new one. But I can see that it'll be pivotal to the work and should be sorted as soon as possible

To answer Tricky's question, I'm working in the Department of Dental Sciences on plaque related diseases. I've been enlisted due to my Microbiology background (BSc Hons n such). We're going to be working on designing a biological model of caries and study the remineralisation of enamel using fluoride solutions. Something like that anyways. I heard you're a Microbiologist too, what are you studying?

T

Sounds interesting (up) Yeah I am a microbiologist too, I'm from a vet background and looking at intestinal disease and gut microflora in poultry as a means to get a better handle of treating gut disease without relying on antibiotics :-)

P

Much as I dont understand microbiology, I am truly impressed at people who can out their entire research in a succint sentence like that, Tricky!!! Which yr are you? I appreicate that its different in the social sciences etc, but still, even though I am only starting next week, I cant imagine it all in a sentence yet and it freaks me out to think what I shall say when I'm asked what I'm doing...urgh especially when family and relatives ask....you should see my face LOL!!!

P

I meant *put* their entire research....silly typos...

V

I'm a year in, and still can't get it down to a sentence! Well, I can, but the sentence keeps changing! Added to mine is the reaction I get which is either "Ooooh, how interesting" or "Ugh, how can you read about that stuff?"
My PhD is considering the social power of genocide survivors once they've migrated to the UK.

M

that sounds really cool Tricky. The last lab I worked in was doing some work on something similar, but with Pigs. The student had to handle alot of faeces with that one. Hehe. Thanks everyone for your help, I just need to make sure I stay confident and patient. x

R

Vaifan, your research sounds interesting. I get mixed responses to mine, as it's about jewellery and death. I got to the point a while ago where I'd be able to gauge how much to say about the topic to avoid reactions where they might think I'm a closet ghoul or something. Sometimes I just say it's about jewellery as that sounds completely harmless and I've less chance of attracting weirdos. It's easier when you can angle it towards social policy for some people outside academia and your own area.

MicroGeek, good luck with settling into your work, though it sounds like you already are!

S

Hi :-)

Everyone's research all sounds so interesting! I'm also starting next week - I feel kind of in limbo - I'm staying at the same uni I did my BA and MA at with the same supervisor so it should be a nice, easy transition, but I feel quite lost! Every other year there have been timetables and room numbers to check, you know what's coming - this time - well, it feels like register next week, then submit something huge in 3 years time lol :$

Having only submitted my MA dissertation in the 15th it feels like its not time to catch my breath again - I'm a history girl - does anyone know how full on things get and how fast? I'm hoping that maybe I can continue to be in my collapsed heap stage for a few more days yet ;-)

This is very exciting, but also absolutely terrifying and I did have an 'omg what am I doing????' moment yesterday lol

T

Quote From MicroGeek:

that sounds really cool Tricky. The last lab I worked in was doing some work on something similar, but with Pigs. The student had to handle alot of faeces with that one. Hehe. Thanks everyone for your help, I just need to make sure I stay confident and patient. x

Which lab was that? One of the PhD students i work with does stuff with pig faeces.. I have to deal with lots of chicken guts.. nice!