The One Goal Thread

Z

======= Date Modified 27 Sep 2012 14:46:35 =======
============= Edited by a Moderator =============

B

======= Date Modified 28 Sep 2012 19:09:07 =======
Hi everyone,

Hope everyone makes some progress during this week.

At the first half of this week, I thought over all my research, wrote them down, read about related literature and discussed with my sup about my future research. As I know this is a crucial step regarding if I can graduate on time or not, I focused on thinking about the details of my research for several days. After that, I felt quite tired and took one day off yesterday, which was quite nice.

I need to write a technique report to my other sup today, but I haven't started writing yet. I guess writer's block begins to take effect. Writing is always hard for me. Hope I can manage to write something today.

Wish everyone a nice weekend and see you here next week.

B

Hi all,

I was away last week housesitting for my parents; their computer is very slow and I spent half my time fixing it, so I didn't really get much work done! I've also had some nice news this week which has meant I've been a bit distracted! So I really need to get cracking.

My aim for the next 2 weeks is to finish the journal article I'm writing, and to write an extra 2 journal articles before I meet my sup to discuss my thesis. I should get the journal article I'm working on finished by tomorrow, giving me just under two weeks to write the other two. Hmm, maybe I'm being a bit ambitious!

Goal 1- write meth section for article
Goal 2- fill in the gaps in findings and discussion sections

Good luck today everyone!

L

Morning,

Hi Button, glad you've had some nice news, you certainly deserve some good news! I totally know what you mean about parent's houses and slow computers - I can't stand using my Mums PC, by the time it's warmed up enough to open Word I might as well have written the thing by pen and paper!!!

I'm mainly going to be prepping for supervision tomorrow and beginning to make some amendments to Chapter 3 today, the more I can get done the better really. So hopefully I will make some good progress with that today!

Hope everyone is having a good day (up)

Hello all!

Glad you've had good news, Button, that's always nice. And I hate using my parents' computer too, very slow and set up weirdly and I always have my Dad interrupting me just when I'm taking a quick break on Facebook! Luckily I'm not there very often.

Anyway - I had my job interview on Thursday and didn't get the job. Again. But this time I felt the interview went really well, and when they rejected me they sent a really lovely email full of praise and suggesting I apply for future jobs with them. Basically, as I suspected the problem was I'm in a slightly different discipline, and they've already set the methodological stuff on their study. Oh well, it was a good experience, and I did get close to getting the job, so I don't feel too battered by the rejection!

Back to work today after taking the entire weekend off (lazy!!). I have ten days to get my thesis into a decent enough shape to send to my supervisors - it won't be finished, but I want it to be as good as I can get it. Goals for today:
1.) Go swimming - DONE
2.) Reply to emails - DONE
3.) Send follow-up emails after conference
4.) Write research problem section of chapter one
5.) Look at what needs doing to lit review chapter

B

Good luck working on the chapter today Linda!

Sorry to hear you didn't get the job Batfink, but the feedback you received sounds very promising.

I'm peed off; I've spent most of the morning working on the meth section of my article, only to have just realised that half of it isn't actually needed grr! So I've been spending ages re-wording it and making it sound better, only to have pressed delete 5 minutes ago!

But hey ho, it's done now! I've managed to do both of my goals set which is great, which means I've 'just' got the abstract and background section to write. I'm having one of those 'my article is crap' moments though, but if I can I'd like to get a complete rough draft done by the end of the day, then I can see how bad it actually is tomorrow!

L

Button - That sounds rather annoying but at least it's done now and you can move on.
Batfink - It sounds like they had sensible reasons for not giving you the job and that feedback sounds lovely.

Today I've been preparing for a supervisor meeting, having a supervisor meeting, and now I'm preparing a report for some people that we're collaborating with. Hurrah!

B

Morning all!

Well I managed to get my journal article finished yesterday; not overly pleased with it though as it was a very difficult one to write. But I'll just have a read through of it this morning and then give it to sup for comments once I see her.

Goal 1- read through article and print
Goal 2- read through article written last week and print
Goal 3- plan next article

Good luck today everyone!

L

Morning,

Sounds like you had a busy day yesterday Button! I know what you mean about spending ages on something oly to remove it after, GRRR! Nevermind though!

And although you didn't get the job Batfink it sounds like they really liked you so it'll be well worth applying in future.

Hope everyone else had a good day yesterday, I made some progress with Chapter 3 but half of my sup's feedback has gone missing! Very odd! So I'm just kind of guessing what they wanted me to do...! More of the same today!

Hope you all have a good and productive day today :-)

Morning all!

Sounds like we're all doing well at pushing ahead, however slow it feels.

I agree about the job rejection, they had good reason and the feedback was lovely, gives me confidence that I will find a job soon.

Today, I'm going through my lit review and looking at what needs restructuring and what needs adding since I last worked on it, about a year ago! I'm hoping it'll be fairly quick though, as I have a review paper (unpublished!!) that I wrote for a journal so I can lift whole chunks out of that.

Good luck everyone with the work today!

E

Hello all!!!

I am still at my job....it is a good thing that today things are quite and not many people are coming... It gives me time to take a break....

I plan to get on with my PhD in a couple of hours (I finish at 2 local time, and I give myself one hour for lunch and a quick nap). Yesterday I sent to my sups a literature review chapter which is around 20,000 words (quite big I guess) and until our meeting at the end of the month, I don't have anything to work on. So, I guess I will try to take a look at all of my other chapters...

Starting from today, I will work on my methodology chapter (I know that I need to add one paragraph at the end of it) and then on my first analysis chapter.

Good luck to all of you!!

N

Good afternoon everyone, I didn't post on this last week because I was so busy! Highlights were starting my methodology chapter, a couple of good supervision meetings and a conference. This week I need to finish a 5000 word section of my methodology chapter for Friday, aside from teaching etc.

My goal today is to write another (good) 1000 words to finish a section of it, but I have to go to a two-hour seminar later. Have spent this morning doing admin and the reading required for the seminar.

Have a good day everyone!

Sounds like you had a busy week last week Natassia! And Emmaki, hope you get lots done after work.

I've restructured my lit review chapter so now have to go through and make sure the sections flow and link properly, lose a couple of thousand words, and see if there is any recently-read literature that I still need to add in. I might not manage all of that today, but if I can get a good way into it I'll be happy.

E

Good morning!!!
Hope that everyone is doing good progress today!

I sure hope that I will, as yesterday I didn't do any progress at all (bad Emmaki).....
So, yesterday I sat at my desk and I was really ready to do some serious work, but then I was really frustrated as I couldn't find the papers I needed and I ended up tidying up.....

My goals for today (of course after work) are:
1) Go to the doctor's and take off stitches from ankle
2) Revise methodology chapter
3) Revise 1st analysis chapter
4) Revise 2nd analysis chapter (really minor revisions)

Good luck everyone!

Ouch, I hope your ankle is okay, Emmaki!

I had a really productive day yesterday, although I am a little behind the nominal schedule in my mind to meet next week's deadline. Oh well, I'm just going to keep plugging away at it, and hopefully the next few days will be as productive as yesterday!

Goals for today:
1.) Go swimming - DONE
2.) Finish reworking of lit review chapter
3.) Plan work to be done on methodology chapter (and start if I have time)
4.) Sort out expenses claim from conference