The 'We will get that job' post.

D

That's awful and annoying - I guess it's a confidence thing! I wish you can get it on tap - it would do wonders! I'm going through a funny post viva stage where I seem to be doubting myself and feel like I'm in limbo! I suppose it's a bit of an anti-climax after you've worked yourself to death to get it and then you have to look for something else to do! Withdrawal symptoms???
;-)

Thanks for suggestions - I have them on CV. It's very academically long now!

Good luck with job hunting! I better get on with applications too!

:-s ;-)

P

I just wanted to say to anyone who is disheartened about getting a job - Don't Give Up Hope! I nearly did but soldiered on and tried to get over the rejection after having interview after interview and getting nowhere.
But I have now just been offered a job. It's not academia but it's my plan B which is the museum sector so I'm thrilled. And I've also been approached by another organisation with a possible job offer. Hopefully as the first one is part-time the second may fit in and I can do both to have full-time equivalent.
It's like buses at the moment as I had a call today offering me an interview for a job in my Plan C area - what I did before I started my PhD but I turned it down and felt pleased to be the rejector and not the rejected for a change.
So after more than a year of applying for everything and anything things have worked out.
Don't give up!

S

Congratulations Pam!!

C

Many Congratulations Pam!! That is fantastic!! :)

that's wonderful Pam, Congratulations! 8-)8-)(up)

And thank you for letting us know there is hope at the end of the employment tunnel...

D

That's great news Pam as you've been through a lot. I hope everything goes well.

D

Congrats that's excellent news and thanks for letting us know there is hope! It's awful to be stuck in the current situation looking for a job wondering how long it's going to take! (up)

Congratulations. It's great to hear some positive news. Good luck with the 2nd job option also. (up)

A

That's great news Pam, and in your preferred museum sector - even better:-). Heart for those of us who are still getting 'thank you for applying but...' or worse, nothing :-(.

Enjoy (up)

C

I'm another one in the job hunting phase.... three applications recently, two interviews, no job :-(

Anyway I was wondering how wide other people spread their net...I've seen a couple of jobs recently, that aren't perfect but are things I could do (both academic jobs). Is it better to hold off for a better suited job, or go for everthing and anything? I'm not submitting til September so can hold off for a while, but am fearful of getting there and the ideal job not turning up.

A

Quote From catalinbond:

I'm another one in the job hunting phase.... three applications recently, two interviews, no job :-(

Anyway I was wondering how wide other people spread their net...I've seen a couple of jobs recently, that aren't perfect but are things I could do (both academic jobs). Is it better to hold off for a better suited job, or go for everthing and anything? I'm not submitting til September so can hold off for a while, but am fearful of getting there and the ideal job not turning up.

If you can afford [financially] to wait 'til the preferred job comes available, you could take the chance and wait. However, it may not come up and even if it does, you may not get it. Sorry to be prophet of doom but I think it's dicey to wait. I would mention in your cover letter that you are in the final stages and expect to submit in *whenever*. My supervisor told me to do this. I have a first draft done and he said to include this fact in my application as it makes potential employers more likely to believe you when you say you are nearly finished!

Well done btw on getting shortlisted for interview. Here's me giving my tuppence halpenny worth of advice and I have yet to get shortlisted:-(. Therefore, feel free to totally disregard anything I say!

C

Thanks for the advice Ady. I can afford to wait IF I do find a post soon, or have a back up plan for post submission where I'll be earning enough to live on.

Good luck with getting short listed. I seem to be good at doing applications but then bad at getting past the interview stage! Took me 8 interviews to get my PhD! But then I did apply for everything and anything that sounded vaguely interesting and I guess that lack of knowledge or enthusiasm comes though at interview......which neatly leads me back to current dilemma! Still if I have time guess it's worth putting in applications rather than wondering about the "what if...." and cross the do I really want this job bridge later!

A

How mean :-(

Just got an email re: job I had applied for. Subject line was 'Invite to interview'. It starts off with thank you for your application, we were very pleased to receive / appreciate the effort you took BUT regret to inform you...

What an inappropriate subject line :-(

Oh Ady, that is so mean, so unfair. Sounds like a stupid mistake on their side. The HR person should have been more careful. But on the other hand (I don't mean to give false hope of course but still...) do you think it would be a good idea to contact them and ask with a tongue-in-cheek way whether they sent the correct email? You know, it could easily be the other way round. They meant to send you an invite for an interview, but copy-pasted the wrong content?

A

Thanks 404 - I took your advice, contacted HR and they actually got back to me straight away apologising for their error but confirming that I wasn't short-listed:-(. It was for a job at my own university so I'm not really surprised but pretty gutted really.

Thanks again - you have a second interview coming up soon, yes?? Good luck with that (up)