What subject areas are others working in

J

I'm in education.

B

education too :-)

K

I like this thread, it's fascinating to see that although we are from such a variety of backgrounds we can still share advice.

S

======= Date Modified 06 Mar 2010 11:12:08 =======

Quote From keenbean:

Clinical psychology- Alzheimer's disease stuff! KB

My girlfriend did a psychology undergrad and has applied to mental health nursing starting this september. Later on she might decide to go down the clinical psychology route or a related area so I will send her to you for advice!

P.S. I might be looking at the medical side of alzheimers as it has been shown that diabetics are more likely to develop alzheimers. One of our questions is to find out why :D

M

Psychology (cognitive neuroscience) :-)

S

Quote From Melsie:

Psychology (cognitive neuroscience) :-)

Cool! Are you going to the young persons symposium at St Andrews in August? It's all about neurophysiology.

M

I didn't say in my initial post what I am doing, I am based in the electronic engineering department, but there is a fair bit of cross over into the physiscs department. I am part time researching the method of testing the electromagnetic interference produced by cars.

M

Literature/Literary History. Kind of interdisciplinary. M,x

S

Maths. And kind of regretting it now :(

K

======= Date Modified 06 Mar 2010 18:32:15 =======

Quote From superman:

My girlfriend did a psychology undergrad and has applied to mental health nursing starting this september. Later on she might decide to go down the clinical psychology route or a related area so I will send her to you for advice!

P.S. I might be looking at the medical side of alzheimers as it has been shown that diabetics are more likely to develop alzheimers. One of our questions is to find out why :D

That's cool- tough route though! At the moment I'm doing PhD clinical psychology by research rather than the clinical psychology practitioner doctorate, but a lot of my pals are trying to go down that route and some of them are getting there eventually but it is a long road! I might end up applying for that too somewhere down the line- a lot of really successful clinical psychology researchers have both doctorates- but one thing at a time! Best, KB

W

I work in the somewhat uninspiring field of subjective outcome measurement. This means that I ask question...yes/no, maybe/maybe not, proper well painful/ doesn't hurt at all...and so forth and so forth.

Does anyone want to swap PhD research projects in fact?

P

I can sympathise with everyone who goes 'ummmm...' when asked what subject area they're working in...
I'm Film Studies / Marketing and Communication / East Asian Studies :)

T

I'm in Information Studies, but my topic crosses over into Psychology/Sociology. I'm looking at online friendship.

E

Is anyone else finding this intriguing? I didn't even know some of these fields existed!

Quote From walminskipeasucker:

I work in the somewhat uninspiring field of subjective outcome measurement. This means that I ask question...yes/no, maybe/maybe not, proper well painful/ doesn't hurt at all...and so forth and so forth.

@Walminskipeasucker - do you compare your subjective outcome measurements to objective ones, or something? I'm trying to imagine how this works.

Or, are your measurements of subjective outcome measurements themselves subjective?

S

Quote From twomules:

I'm in Information Studies, but my topic crosses over into Psychology/Sociology. I'm looking at online friendship.

That's pretty cool. What are you looking at exactly? I have made some very good friends online from forums. Some of them I plan to meet up with in the near future.