ESRC open competition - results out?

S

So sorry to hear, Sarab! Keep your head up, it's not about you, there is so much luck involved. My supervisor, on telling her the bad news, said:

"I often compare applying for funding to
crumpling up a piece of paper, standing with your back to the
wastebasket on the other side of the room, and trying to throw it in.
You might be able to get slightly better at it over time, but on the
whole it is mostly chance."

Hope all of you who haven't heard yet can relax a bit over the weekend!

E

It seems to me Shani that your supervisor is right...and Sarab thanks. I think I definetely need some luck...

J

Anyone had any news today? I've been on the phone again - aparently a list has been recieved by the university, but the person who has this list has gone on holiday!!! Got to wait till she comes back before anyone applying from my univeristy will know. Hope she is having a lovely time while my life is put on hold, waiting around...

J

Seems uni staff are good at taking holidays without leaving deputys in place - one summer we couldn't order anything for 6 weeks cos of a staff holiday. And us students get moaned at if we take a long weekend

E

Hi all. I got the news today. Didn't get it:( Well, I have to think now that I know the final bad news. I am thinking of doing firstly my Msc and then do the PhD.My supervisor told me that I will have more chances like that to get the ESRC next year. Well, I don't understand what's the point of the ESRC having a 3+1 scheme for those of us who haven't a masters but anyway, this life is full of this kind of questions. I am a bit sad all day today but I am going to survive...:)
Good luck to those of you who haven't heard yet. I am very curious to see who are finally the succesful applicants. Do they live on this planet????

V

Evaki, I doubt that as well.

S

sorry to hear, evaki.

the way i understood it, the 1+3 people only compete with other 1+3 people. so when your supervisor suggests that your chances will be better next year for the +3, it must mean that hmmm well some good people are out of the competition because they already got the 1+3, and perhaps you make more progress in your MSc year than others do, and perhaps you have a better chance for a quota place.

keep your head up! you'll get there, i'm sure.

S

Sorry to hear the news Evaki. I hope you cheer up soon - I feel completely better already which is a relief!

Please please please someone tell us they got it soon!

M

umm I cant believe that there have been no success stories yet...has anyone actually got their breakdown of marks from the ESRC??

J

I've just found out that my application was also unsuccessful... not to worry, I had a feeling I would be declined as the chances were so slim. A shame to have put so much work in to the application! Good luck to anyone who still hasn't heard.

S

sorry to hear, j0euk. one would think, that if they make you wait so long, at least they should give you a positive response!

monkeytab, no i didn't get the marks breakdown. but they did say in the e-mail which i received that they had only received the results from the ESRC by fax, and that they would send an official letter confirming the decisions once they got the stuff proper. so i am expecting any additional info to arrive with that official letter.

anyone still waiting for results? they said 7th august at the latest, didn't they?

K

Just wanted to say congrats to those successful and comiserations to everyone who hasn't received funding. Please don't get too downhearted, it is likely to be no reflection of your abilities, it's just down to the fact that it is so fiercely competititve. I just had a researh grant application rejected from ESRC so I know how difficult it is.

If you want it badly enough, you WILL get there!

B

I found out this morning that I received a 1+3 award, so if anyone is still waiting for results it's still possible that you'll get one (I had all but given up hope, so I'm in shock). I assume it's just down to the university and not the ESRC as to when they get in contact with you. It is a complete lottery I feel and I'm in no doubt that there's a quota for different countries and the fact that I'm Scottish had something to do with it - look at the distribution of awards by country on the ESRC's website and you'll see what I mean - so I hope everyone who wasn't successful has luck getting funding from another source.

S

heya bunk-metal, way to go! you must be sooo excited. well, being funded to study and do research is a great thing. i hope it all works out well. good luck with everything!

B

Thank you very much, I'm very excited, but I know there are more deserving people than me who didn't get funding. I just hope everyone who wasn't successful perseveres because this time last year I was in the same position and ready to give up.