Signup date: 21 Oct 2005 at 9:47am
Last login: 14 Feb 2009 at 4:35pm
Post count: 359
I was just into my second year, but I had been having serious doubts about it after just six months in - it was the scary negative comments I kept getting from my supervisor and other lab colleagues that made me too scared to leave earlier - I was given all these stories about people that's left PhD's and were at a major disadvantage for it etc. But really this has not been the case, I feel so much better for leaving and I have many more opportunities now than ever before! I actually feel more prepared to make an informed decision about what career I want to follow because what I've been through this last year has made me realise a lot.
Hiya, sorry I think you guys think I am some other member of the forum, I only discovered this site a few days ago.
Thanks for the advice, I've already lines up an alternative course (and a completely different career) which starts next year, unfortunately I have to spend a year doing crappy jobs, but it'll give me a chance to write up my Masters and get some work experience to look good on my CV.
That's a good idea about not putting down the fact that i was doing a PhD on my CV - thank you for that advice. I'll just make it look like I was just doing a masters all along.
Oh no, I cannot believe this thread has been revived!! I'm just laughing my head off here!! I'm now in Egypt having finished my 'contract' in SA. But I'm going back to the UK to do a conversion course in..wait for it guys, this will make you laugh..SOCIAL WORK!! So I have learned to change my attitude a lot towards people who do factory jobs - I've found there are a lot of people who are trapped in jobs they don't like just because of the money or no opportunities..but these people can certainly live it up at the weekend!!
Hi guys - I'm now in Buenos Aires, having almost decided to give up my PhD - I have the option of going back after a months leave to make absolutely sure that the decision I make is a sensible one. I've managed to pick up two teaching jobs here in Buenos Aires, and I'm living in Pacheco with my friends family. All is good!!!!!
Believe me, it really has been four months of thinking about it. I still feel like sh*t. 90% of me has made up my mind - but the other 10% wants to hang on here till I find something else to go to that'd be better than this. Going into the unknown is really scary!!
So do I. Believe me, it is the scariest decision I have ever had to make!! But I have taken the last 4 months or so to think about it. I really did hope I'd find the work more interesting by now and that I'd change my mind, but it's not happened..and I'd rather drop out now than waste anymore of anybodys money or time.
Basically I'd love to work at an animal shelter in cyprus or spain or anywhere, or in Africa feeding starving people. There are so amny worthwhile things I could be doing. I'm willing to work for free and be poor just to be happy. The whole point in doing this PhD was to open a few doors in the area of conservation - even volunteer jobs in this area seem to be highly competitive. It all sounds mad but it's what I'd be happy doing.
A year ago I was working as a TEFL teacher in South America. I made enough to live on - in fact I was quite well off - and I was happy. And now, the complete opposite. I'm nagged at all the time. I don't come into the lab on Mondays because I do paperwork at home - I've worked the past 4 weekends looking for field sites to put up insect collection traps, so I thought taking the Mondays off to work at home wouldn't be a problem. It's not like I'm vegging out in front of the TV.
I don't know really. I've just had enough. It's not just a sudden thing - I've felt like this since I came back after New Year. My project isn't going to plan, and the thought of spending the next few years doing the same thing really depresses me. I'll be 27 years old when I finish here. Is this really what I want for my life?? No. There's got to be something else out there.
Postgraduate ForumForum Home
Masters DegreesSearch For Masters Degrees
PhD OpportunitiesSearch For PhDs
PostgraduateForum Is a trading name of FindAUniversity Ltd
FindAUniversity Ltd, 77 Sidney St, Sheffield, S1 4RG, UK. Tel +44 (0) 114 268 4940 Fax: +44 (0) 114 268 5766
An active and supportive community.
Support and advice from your peers.
Your postgraduate questions answered.
Use your experience to help others.
Enter your email address below to get started with your forum account
Enter your username below to login to your account
An email has been sent to your email account along with instructions on how to reset your password. If you do not recieve your email, or have any futher problems accessing your account, then please contact our customer support.
or continue as guest