Do you study at your cubicle or home?

R

Hi all...

I was wondering where do you study much ? at your cubicle/office or home?
Do you read out loud ?

just curious :p

I don't have a cubicle - I have an office, but its shared with 3 post docs. I dont' tend to work there because its 2 hours away from my home and it costs about £45 to get there on peak trains. I find I often tend to chat all day as well (I innitiate the chatting!) and find I can't read and take in info there - I only do admin work and teaching when at uni.

So I do 99% of my actual PhD work at home. I don't read out loud but I do swear (this week at the wood pidgeons on my roof) and sigh and make cups of tea every 10 mins etc. But I'm very comfy working by myself. I think some people feel isolated, but I love it!

D

British Library! Poor internet connection prevents my procrastination habits, it can get crowded, so I shall be there on opening times (well my mind wakes up a couple of hours later). I recognise all the regulars and give them names from literature or science "Dr Chekov is late today, probably talking with Bernuli again"
I found out that steady library schedules work for me fine. I have to start and stop studying at specific times, it helps progress steadily each day.

W

Before I started the field work phase (1,000 miles away from my uni) I worked from the office. Most of the time, I am one of about 2 or 3 students there. We have shared offices that can accommodate up to 20 people between 2 rooms. I enjoy it because it gives me the chance to talk out my ideas from time to time with somebody, and let them critique them. I rather like having my home space as my 'home' and not 'study' space. It is all about mental separation for me. When I did work from home, I had trouble shutting off... so food was burnt and sleep was not restful. But that is just what works for me.

C

I do most of my work at a shared office at uni, and do one day a week at home. I prefer working at uni as I don't get distracted as easily and it's good to be able to talk to my friends about PhD stuff. Tend to leave my reading out loud for home though! ;-)

S

I do most of my work from home. I have a desk in an office at uni and work there if I have to be in the department for teaching are meetings. Seeing as there is only one other person in my office, who is doing something completely different to me, going in regularly isn't going to stop me from feeling any less isolated than I would at home!

My boyfriend also works from home a lot but he isn't a student and so has to do 9-5, which helps me to do the same. I usually go to the gym after work which helps with the mental seperation of work time from the rest of my life.

K

I work from my office - can not work at home. I think it's environment specific conditioning. I even sleep there about once a week (and I'm not the only one).

B

I was a part-time student, so no cubicle/office. In my department even full-timers don't have those.

I worked from home, with all my books/papers/computers etc to hand. Oh apart from trips to archives to find and examine research material, though I increasingly dragged even that to me at home in the form of photocopies, microfilms and digital photographs of records.

B

ave shared office. am the newest to the team(two month old). so am out of place. My uni five minutes walk but i work from home. The cups of coffeee i can make the motivating factor. The room is so quiet and i can read without cloth on. but sometimes get distratced coz am a music addict.

R

======= Date Modified 30 Jul 2010 04:11:20 =======
thank you all for joining us here..
well, I have got a cubicle at the same place as my professors and so many other professors too!
it is really a big place with so many cubicles , so it is quite I am the only phd student at the department for the time being..
anyways, I like to read out load but I never do it !
do u think I should give it a shot? hahah

C

======= Date Modified 30 Jul 2010 10:22:13 =======
I can't work at home. I get too distracted by daytime TV, housemate, the fact the "ooh look I could hoover the living room/wash up/do laundrey" etc. I do do marking at home though as get too distracted in the office.

edited cos that makes no sense! I mean for reading it's quite distracting having other people around, but analysis/admin etc I work better. I'm starting to worry where on earh I'm going to be able to write up....

P

99% at home- I have an office at work (3 others in there). Yet like Sneaks I end up chatting, going for extended coffee breaks...More than happy working at home, chip chip chipping away at this ice-block-of-a-PhD....

There are distractions, but use them to act like breaks. I've become a bit of a house husband during, so make sure washing is done, flat spick and spam, before my poor partner gets home after a full day of 'real' work 8-)

S

I work from home - there is a room at the uni which PhD students can use, most don't... its only got about 5 desks and the computers are awful as is the printer and the majority of us work at home. I find I need silence and no distractions, especially if I'm writing so if anyone else was in the office I'd be unable to work properly, would chat, would keep wondering off and the view outside is distracting - darned ducks were nearly the death of my BA til I started working more at home, can't let them ruin the PhD :-) The problem with working from home is that, as a mum and wife I tend to end up fretting over washing, what to cook for tea, stopping WW3 (its the school holidays God help me) and that is a problem, but at least I can work into the evening after they've gone to bed, have everything I need here and can just focus on that rather than having to factor in a 40 mile round trip to do some work.

E

I am living in another country (Greece) and doing my PhD in UK.
Obviously, I am studying at home after work (I work FT with children with SEN). But even if my uni was close, I don't think that I would go there to study, as I like having everything around me, having all my papers printed and with scribles (I am a little old fashioned and can't read from the screen, prefer paper!!!).....
In my uni there is a huge room for post graduates (over 20 desks) and I guess it would be very difficult to work there....

As for reading out loud...it annoys my cat, so I never do it...

S

======= Date Modified 31 Jul 2010 03:25:03 =======
======= Date Modified 31 Jul 2010 03:24:37 =======
i like to work at home
love satchi