examination forms nightmare!

L

although i read in the examination forms, and it clearly says:

"candidates are reminded that the decision to submit a thesis in any particular form rests with the candidate alone and that the outcome of the examination is determinded by the examiners only"..

he's basically making me feel, that i might be wasting the examiners time with my "thesis"

whether that was his intention or not, thats how i feel.

if he's too busy to correct my thesis. then i can just do it on my own and take my chance with the examiners. and let them either fail me , or tell me to rewrite it.

L

i wrote him an email yesterday, telling him the chapters i am including in my thesis. and to ask him when he is free to have a meeting, so i can get his "approval" on the chapters and content i want to write.

you know it's so funny. when you need their help, they basically say, you're a phd student, its your job -figure it out. and you're left on your own trying to understand a certain concept.

and then when you show independent thought, they then throw the whole "you need your supervisor's approval"

H

Although it has frustrated your writing process, the fact that you do have those published papers *will* help you. It'll be harder for examiners to criticise your work if it's been peer reviewed and published. Which isn't to say you won't have to do *any* defending. But it should give your confidence a boost to know that some of your data is already in print.

L

Thanks Jane

that's made me feel better.

L

Just got a reply back from my supervisor.
he wrote:

Dear Lara.,

Thanks for the forms- but I really must reiterate that first and foremost ***** and I need to see your PhD plan and evaluate that you can and are going to write up your work for a PhD.

It's a lot of work for ***** and I to organise examiners and then commit to the endless hours going through your thesis.

It's a year since you left and still I have seen no evidence that you will achieve this.

L

We are certainly not prepared to take this any further, in particular by contacting our peers to ask them to take on the task of examining you, until we are satisfied that once the process has started, you will complete it.

I'm sorry if this sounds a bit harsh, but it's really up to you to prove that you are going to do what you say you will.

I cannot meet this week as I have a grant deadline. But anyway, that will give you time to get your plan together.

It needs to have your whole thesis mapped out, with a summary of each section, what you plan to write and what results you plan to present and discuss. **** and I will need to think about your plan and discuss it before meeting with you

Regards *****

L

what do i do?

my supervisor is draggging his heels! and my graduate tutor at my university, is telling me to send the forms ASAP!! because they take 4 months to clear

and if i dont submit by september, they will terminate my registration!!!!!!!!!!!

do you think i should tell my graduate tutor, of the situation with my supervisor, and how they are dragging their heels????/

i have a good mind, to go to my university, and ask them to help me and that i am having trouble with my supervisor.

its not that i havent been working on my thesis at all. i have been, just slowly, and i have rough drafts.

what shall i do? wait a week ? and see what they say at the meeting, but time is ticking by.

L

oh this is such a mess. i have a good mind to say. you know what, f**** off, and i need your help, to read my thesis, i will write it my self, and let the examiners fail me, and i'll go to my uni and tell them exactly what you said!
im so angry

its like wtf!!!! he told me to write two papers so they would help me write my thesis, and now i need his help, its like "oh its too much work for us"

im so livid, i can hardly type. my hands are shaking

i think i should contact my university. they should be aware of the situation.

i'm gonna cry

L

i really think, he cannot be bothered to help me with my thesis, because it will take time away because he's so busy, and he gets nothing from me passing my phd, because im not his official student.

L

he just doesnt get it! if i DONT submit by september, i automatically FAIL!
if i submit a thesis, at least i have a chance , even its a slighly chance, that the examiners might give me a second chance

i have 3 months. i know i can do it.

im so angry right now.

L

i dont know what to do

do i tell my univiersity what an arse my supervisor is being

or do i wait another week and hope i can prove to him i can do it

but then my uni will be like, why havent you sent the forms, and i might end up failing, cause the exam forms weren't sent

what shall i do??

shall i ask if i can speak to someone in confidence at my university. ????

H

Lara, does your supervisor have any idea about how much work and planning you've done in the last few weeks? Cos if he doesn't, I can understand his reticence, If you let him know just how much effort you've made in the last month, and how much progress there's been, he'll see how much effort you've put in and how seriously you're taking it.

When you get your meeting with him, I imagine that his attitude will change, once you present him with your plan. Rise above your frustrations and show him how great you can be!

H

Seriously, I think the best way to proceed is to email him your detailed thesis plan, today if possible, and explain what parts you've achieved so far, and what your time frame for the rest of it is. Then he'll probably take you far more seriously.

L

but what if by then its too late?

i have to submit my examination forms really quickly?

you think i shouldnt tell QMUL yet?

i want to tell them, so they have an idea why my forms are being delayed.

L

so you think i should email back my supervisor, and tell him exactly what i have done and what not.

seriously, does he think im just sitting her twiddling my thumbs!

i cant believe this. he was the one that said write the papers first it will help with your thesis. and now hes like, i dont think you can write your thesis. he said, i would be able to write my thesis based on the papers

then why the f**** did i bother writing those papers. if it meant i would fail my phd!