First conference coming up!

S

Hi Guys! I ve been busy lately trying to write up some results sections that I really hate! Today I found out about a conference in US. My department pays for everything of course (flights and accommodation)... I would just like to ask you if its possible for me to stay longer and use my return ticket for a week later or something. Do people tend to do that?

V

Ask your department. My usually doent mind;)

F

I would ask too. I have done that, it usually does not cost more so I can't see why they would mind. Hope they say yes.

L

I've not been to any conferences yet but I know quite a few people who have had a holiday either before or after and the uni has been fine about it. Obviously the holiday time accomodation and other expenses you would have to pay for yourself though

S

Thanks for your replies. I think I will get an extra week shopping in NY. I ve never been in the states so I am really looking forward to it. Are all conferences usually in exotic destinations? Where is the nicest place you have attended/presented in a conference?

I

Hey, NY! You'll love it there 8) The shops are a bit spaced out, and if you want to visit all the different department stores like Macey's, you'll need to do some walking! But it's a wonderful place. I hope you enjoy your visit!

S

Good to know! Thanks! Have you been there on a holiday, conference, study, what? My conference is 100 miles away but I think I can drive there (without getting lost...hmmmm).

A

Can I ask for a little souvenir from the US Sara?

I would really appreciate it if you could bring me a laptop, a camera and a car!

S

Anything for you Athina. These three things are exactly what my brother asked for as well. Anyone else wanting a small souvenir? Imagine what you would ask for if I went to Hollywood

I

I only went there on holiday for a week, but it's an amazing place. It's worth going and staying there, even for 3 or 4 days! Might be quite expensive unless you stay in a hostel, but definitely worth it 8)

S

I am sure I will love it too! I love big cities (and imagine I am living on a campus at the moment). I think I wont want to come back to be honest!

I

Lol! I certainly didn't. There's a definite magic about that place. When I went we ate loads of different ethnic foods, went to all the amazing places like Empire States building... It's extraordinary! Enjoy ^_^ And tell us about it when you get back!

S

I will! I will show you pics from my new University in NY .

Empire state building.. hmmm... I m a bit scared of heights but I will give it a shot! I really cant wait! Have you been anywhere else that you liked it that much too?

I

Umm not really. I went to South Africa and that was pretty amazing with some of the beaches there. But I haven't been to many places really 8( Don't worry about the Empire State, it's all fenced up there so there's no chance of falling off! Instead you get a pretty incredible view of the place! I can send you some pics if you want, to get you into the mood!
So, when you gonna hand in the transfer request?

S

Good question ASAP I think!

The conference is near Boston, so I was thinking I would either drive down to NY or up to Toronto. I wish I could do both but... I think I will "settle" for the former :-D

Yes, show me photos! I ask you where else have you been because I love 1) traveling 9havent done much though), 2) photography. And its great when they are combined. South Africa is definitely a place I want to visit sometime. I have seen my parents' pics and it looks amazing (some joungle parks especially, wowow). If I were rich I would spend all of my money on seeing as much of the world as possible!