latex question

S

hi, I really need some advice about latex. My friend recommended it to me.
1. how long will it take to learn how to use it
2. if I download latex for windows, and then have another one for mac, will it read the same when I switch computers

thanks
satchi

M

Hi Satchi, not sure about the compatibility between Mac and PC but I would have thought they should be. I started using Latex in November and although I am still learning I would say it took about a week to get to a point where I was fairly comfortable using it ( I am part time so thats not a week of actual work, I would say probably half a day or so if I was on it all the time. I wouldn't go back to Word now (unless its just to type a quick note where the formatting doesn't matter. But as far as prodcing a professional looking report for me Latex wins hands down, I am no longer wrestling with Words "Features" that we all know and love.
Give it a go you may be converted you never know.
If you want to know anything else let me know
Max

S

hi maxipat
thanks for your reply. Can you post me a link for the LaTEx download? The one you are using, so at least I have a friend who's done it :-) :-) :-)

for some strange reason I have been finding it difficult to work with Word, I dont know why. I will have a look at this latex thingy, hope it works out for me

love satchi

Hi Satchi!!!

I have been thinking about trying Latex too so if you get hold of a link could you pass it on please!!

This way we can learn together too :-)

Thanks,
EV

S

hi Ev
here is a link my friend sent me
http://www.tug.org/mactex/2009/
but I think its for mac, I will look for the windows version

love satchi

S
W

What is latex good for as opposed to word?

Thanks Satchi!!!!

I'll play with it a bit over the next few days and see how I get on.

EV :-):-):-)

G

Satchi! As someone already written here a few weeks ago that LaTex was coded before Word. I think the latest ms word versions are so powerful that they are as good as any other editors. You can insert/edit bib, write complex mathematical equations etc. So personally I do not see any advantage learning LaTex. Unless somebody can explain here how it is more advantageous then Word. Some people learn it as this is the only format acceptable at certain publishing companies.

L

Hi Satchi, I wasn't too keen on LaTeX when I started using it, but now I would prefer it over MS word. I find it better and much less hassle than word when I'm writing equations. It doesnt take that long to learn how to use it. I learned as I went along. As for your second question I have no idea, but I'm assuming it should still read the same. The only way to know is try I suppose.

Good Luck:-)

S

Hi everyone I just borrowed a copy of leslie lamport's latex book, I will try the latex download tomoro. I'm thinking maybe the advantage is that the formatting will always stay??? Word is good but sometimes margins shift etc. I'm looking at chapter 2 now.

For those of u who r using latex, do your supervisors use it too? How would I send my work then? In .tex?

love satchi

N

======= Date Modified 19 May 2010 18:10:14 =======
1. I wrote my dissertation using MS Word and my thesis using latex. I personally would recommend latex. If you have ever used html mark-up then learning latex will not take long at all (similar sort of thing)

2. I used latex on osx, windows7 and ubuntu. There are no compatibility issues. Under osx I used texshop, under windows I used TeXnicCenter (I think) and under ubuntu I used a plugin for gedit.

While I'm not totally savvy regarding words bibliography functionality, with latex it is very simple to export automatic bibliographies via paper management software such as mendeley.

EDIT: If you didn't realise, you compile the latex document to produce a pdf/ps/dvi file.

D

Can I highly recommend JabRef to do your bibliography in BibTex (bibliography framework in latex).

Can I also send :-x to Satchi for wanting to learn latex

S

I use Latex all the time, and it's far better than Word if you have a lot of symbols/equations. Although I've never used Word for my research work, Latex just 'looks' better imo. Yes, formatting never changes, it writes in a lovely font, and once you get the hang of it, it's really easy to use.

Satchi - once you've written your Latex document, you can view it as a pdf and send it to your supervisor that way. So even if they don't use Latex, they'll still be able to read it.

G

I use openoffice.org all the times to convert to Pdf. There are also free converters available online. Openoffice is exactly like msword and is free and licensed by free software developers.