Revise & Resubmit :(

C

Hi everyone

I had my viva (humanities)last week, and after two hours of waiting, I was given the revise and resubmit verdict. It was an unexpected outcome for me. I have 12 months to make the necessary amendments and correction. The examiners felt that my theoretical framework was unsuitable with the analysis I had made and they also felt that my discussion was lacking a few aspects.

I was upset but I managed to hide my disappointment - I shook hands with the examiners and thanked them for their views. However, back in my supervisor's room, I couldn't help but break down in front of him. I had taken 4 months off studies due to health problems and just recently had another health scare. My sup kindly told me that we would work through the thesis together and make full use of the 12 months.

I had to submit the thesis at the end of April as it was the maximum deadline. I knew it was not perfect, but I just had to submit it as it was the requirement of the bond that I had signed with my employee. I am now waiting for the examiners' report, which I think should be a very long one based on their post-viva comments.

Not proud of the viva outcome but I keep telling myself it could be worse :(

S

Don't be too disheartened. I got the same and am due to resubmit end of Nov. I looked on it as a chance to get it right. You're probably a bit emotionally/physically exhausted after the viva, so give yourself time to recover, and then with your supervisor get on with the corrections. It sounds as if your supervisor is willing to be quite involved which is good. One tip from me, don't leave it too long before you start doing the corrections, time passes amazingly quickly (especially for me as I took on a new job too) and before you know it, the time limit for resubmitting will be coming up. That's where I am now, frantically working away in the evenings, to get things done on time (fingers crossed I get it all done!). So well done on getting through your viva, and with just a bit more work, you will succeed :)

D

Hi charliebrown,

At the end of the day, major revisions just allow you more time to do the changes, which is a good thing considering that most people need to start working. Don't be disappointed, the important thing (as Sunflower12 said) is to keep working on your thesis to get it just right.

B

I had a revise and resubmit virdict from one of my (two) examiners. Thankfully I was able to take the option of a third examiner. Now I have to wait and see what they come back with. It's going to be a more stressful wait than for the first two. In the meantime I'm working on dusting off the minor corrections from the first examiner in short order.

It sounds like you have a supportive supervisor to help you through the corrections. All the best!

M

Stop being upset please! It does happen. Never look back. Do the changes, hand in, don't look for reasons why. It's your chance to improve your work. My thesis took shape, meaning and the maximum of its originality after I received an R&R.

You've revise and resubmit, however, to echo others you're supervisor sounds the right kind of person to have support you.

You've been given 12 months, however, provided you have a plan and a structured work schedule it might not take the full 12 months depending upon the feedback.

As Marasp says, there's a chance to get the thesis just right.

Ian

P

Don't worry! So did I :). You'll make it through. I was knocked back by the outcome too, I found my way around the knockback by turning it into something positive, because my supervisor just didn't bother helping me, and neither did she offer to help me after the viva outcome for resubmission, so I tried to take it as official proof-reading/editing chance from examiners to better my thesis. So on the brightside, your supervisor is a supportive one! :)

K

I agree with what the others have said. Anyone who's made it this far is more than capable of dusting themselves down and doing a bit more work, although at times it might not feel like it. Just take a break first to recover and don't listen to any negativity from anyone.

Your corrections don't sound too bad, it's probably that they just can't be classed as "minor" - some institutions are very strict about what they'll let pass as minor. Rethinking the theoretical framework will take a bit of consideration but with the support of your supervisor it needn't take anything like 12 months. Once you have an idea of where you're going with that I'm sure everything else will fall into place. You'll get better papers out of it too. I know there are lots of negatives but there are a few positives - keep focusing on those! And know that lots of people have been in your situation.

C

Thanks everyone for the advice :)

Just received an e-mail from my sup informing me that the post-viva report would be ready in two weeks' time. Meanwhile, I've booked a short holiday for me & the family. I will also try to get hold of motivational books to keep myself upbeat about the whole situation.

Many thanks again !

F

Quote From charliebrown:
Thanks everyone for the advice :)

Just received an e-mail from my sup informing me that the post-viva report would be ready in two weeks' time. Meanwhile, I've booked a short holiday for me & the family. I will also try to get hold of motivational books to keep myself upbeat about the whole situation.

Many thanks again !

Hi Charliebrown, just wondering if you have any update on your situation? I got exactly the same result as you last December and am due to resubmit in the next couple of weeks. Would love to hear how you got on if you've resubmitted?

U

Had my Viva last Friday, and received a revise and resubmit.

The weekend has not been great, as i have alternated between blame, self-doubt and depression. Self doubt and depression often win.

Luckily, i received the joint recommendations (informal copy) late in the afternoon, as my internal understood that i wanted some clarity as to exactly what was expected of me, especially as i wasn't in agreement with the two examiners.

Without getting too long winded, i had used a theoretical framework to understand my artistic practice and that of others (something that my external had done himself). Within the externals writing, he had stated that the theoretical frame could be used 'for everything', and this was something that i quoted back to him when i was being questioned by my internal on the validity of the framework.

In the Viva i was also able to directly acknowledge and describe the differences in the external's framing, and my own. They were similar, but took slightly different stances. However, my internal (known for provoking and stirring up debate and argument), did not accept the theoretical framing outright. At one point, the chair even had to jokingly ask my internal to debate with my external, as it seemed i was arguing for both my external's and my own validity of research.

The second thing is that my supervisor (who i respect greatly) is a definite expert in the sub-genre i was discussing. The internal and external are not. He accepted my theoretical framing (as have two peer reviewed journals prior to the Viva).This seemed to count for nothing in the Viva.

My thesis - which was heavily weighted towards theory has now been completely change to a portfolio thesis - meaning i have to strip away 30,000 words or more and focus on my practice only, also creating one new artwork (to bring the total 'output' up to the required amount). The theoretical work i had done is seen as below standard.

I feel pretty bad, and can empathise with all here. Support really appreciated!

U

Quote From umma08:
Had my Viva last Friday, and received a revise and resubmit.

The weekend has not been great, as i have alternated between blame, self-doubt and depression. Self doubt and depression often win.

Luckily, i received the joint recommendations (informal copy) late in the afternoon, as my internal understood that i wanted some clarity as to exactly what was expected of me, especially as i wasn't in agreement with the two examiners.

Without getting too long winded, i had used a theoretical framework to understand my artistic practice and that of others (something that my external had done himself). Within the externals writing, he had stated that the theoretical frame could be used 'for everything', and this was something that i quoted back to him when i was being questioned by my internal on the validity of the framework.

In the Viva i was also able to directly acknowledge and describe the differences in the external's framing, and my own. They were similar, but took slightly different stances. However, my internal (known for provoking and stirring up debate and argument), did not accept the theoretical framing outright. At one point, the chair even had to jokingly ask my internal to debate with my external, as it seemed i was arguing for both my external's and my own validity of research.

The second thing is that my supervisor (who i respect greatly) is a definite expert in the sub-genre i was discussing. The internal and external are not. He accepted my theoretical framing (as have two peer reviewed journals prior to the Viva).This seemed to count for nothing in the Viva.

My thesis - which was heavily weighted towards theory has now been completely change to a portfolio thesis - meaning i have to strip away 30,000 words or more and focus on my practice only, also creating one new artwork (to bring the total 'output' up to the required amount). The theoretical work i had done is seen as below standard.

I feel pretty bad, and can empathise with all here. Support really appreciated!

So after a year and a half or a bit more, i graduated. I actually handed in the revise and resubmit after about 8 months of work part time, but it was accepted in Feb 2017, and i just graduated in summer 2017. I have been working for the University in the meantime and saving money, for upcoming travels.

There is light at the end of the tunnel for anybody who comes across this. Just hang on in there!

C

Congratulations, umma08. I hadn't seen your story before - your PhD is well deserved after all that work.

Congratulations Umma08! Well done on achieving your PhD and thank you for posting your update. Best wishes for your future plans.

D

Congratulations, umma08. Well done!!
hope you all the best in the future!