Unemployed postdoc

T

Hello All,

I dont really want to add to the depressing posts but I feel I need to vent my pain. My postdoc contract came to an end earlier this month and I now have the joy of job hunting in a recession. All the grants failed that would have saved me and now I feel really depressed and put off research. I know hopefuly something will come along but at the minute I would just settle for a job. I just feel really drained and tired and I would like a rest as my looming unemployment has been playing on my mind for months. I also have to say that my last few months at university had been unproductive as felt no motivation at all. I thought whats the point you will be binned soon anyway. Thats not to say I was not a good researcher as I have a good number of publications. Sometimes I think its luck that keeps people in a job not their skill. (I will try not to sound bitter).

Anyway now that I am at home I am trying to be positive and send out lots of applications for a load of things and see what comes back. My patner is supportive but our house and their job limits my movement in the country. It just takes so long and all the rejections are depressing.

Anyone else out there sick of job hunting!! We need to support each other.

xxx

D

At least one person posted with the same problem recently and a lot more suspect that this may be their future. I know it doesn't help and these are only words but you're not alone. Try to keep your chin up and keep looking...

T

Andy Humphrey has been writing some really good posts on looking for new posts after his last postdoc ended, for example:
http://www.vitae.ac.uk/researchers/156431/a668b523-a48a-4e04-8052-173f4ff5641a/Research-staff-blog.html
then click on his name to see his other posts.

Good luck job hunting,
Tennie

======= Date Modified 24 Apr 2011 12:04:02 =======
Have you applied for jobs, hiding your PhD?

I had to do that to get back into work, as I was appearing overqualified compared to other candidates. I think my boss and colleagues know now (3.5 years in), however, I'm not making an issue of it or even talking about it. For me, it's lesson learnt and the most important thing is to have a job.

If possible, get your former supervisors etc. to portray you PhD period as a Research Assistant post.

N

Yeah. Don't lose hope. Be optimistic!..

N

======= Date Modified 26 Apr 2011 07:46:42 =======
Even as the American economy shows tentative signs of a rebound, the human toll of the recession continues to mount, with millions of Americans remaining out of work, out of savings and nearing the end of their unemployment benefits. Stretching the value of your unemployment check could help you until you find new job.

S

I know you've almost certainly already considered this but for your self esteem and sanity why not work for free for a Charity, they often need people who can search for funding for them and have the skills to follow an Internet trail. Sometimes volunteering can lead to new colleagues and new job opportunities, if nothing else it adds something a little different to your cv. Good luck. Remember too that you can't reach the other shore until you let go of this shore. This could be a wonderful opportunity for you.

T

Hello People,

I am starting to feel more positive about the situation. I should look at it like an opportunity. What will be will be. I think it was all just a bit raw.
I am applying for jobs not just in science but other areas and importantly I am getting out the house especially as the weather is so nice. I think sometimes I am my own worst enemy. Now is not the time for bitterness!!

I am thinking about hiding my PhD for certain applications though. Its annoying after all that hard work you have too to be able to get a job. I think sometimes employers are not really sure how to react to a PhD. Think of all our transferable skills when needed to complete it.

xxx

C

Yep - thesis submitted in August, viva passed in November. Applied for around 30 jobs since August, industry, academia and Boots! No interviews until December, 5 since (4 academia and one in Boots :p ). First industry interview next week...

S

Hi there,
I can completely empathise with you Treefrog as I’ve found myself in the same position. My post-doc position ended 6 weeks ago and I've now chosen to relocate to be with my partner, who like your partner has had to commit to particular location. Unfortunately there aren’t many post-doc opportunities coming up around here so like you, I’m starting to widen the net and look at other options. I’ve also been worrying about whether my PhD is putting people off. I’ve not taken it off my CV as it leaves a huge 3 year gaping hole so have ended up re-wording my job titles to “assistant” and stuck my Phd at the end in the hope that they will get bored and not read the whole thing! Still hasn’t helped though. I too am really enjoying the sunny weather and finding more time for things that I neglected when I was slaving away in the lab (seems like wasted hours now!) like friends, family and hobbies but must admit to having some major panics thinking that I’ll never get another job. But just have to keep hoping and filling out applications.... All the best with your job search – have got my fingers crossed for you.
Does anyone have any advice on the best way to approach labs with speculative applications/CVs? Thanks alot!

T

Well have had 2 job interviews this week. I had to write an essay in one and have not done that for ages (non-science). I am knackered but fingers crossed. On the more exciting side have another interview coming up which is science. Its a tech post so less money but it would get me in the lab and its more clinical.

I actually quite enjoyed getting out the house to go to my interview and chat to people. I think i deserve the weekend off sowill treat myself to a bottle of wine and trash telly.

Thanks for your reply Scottishkelpie,it made me feel better that someone understands my position and is actually in it. My fingers are crossed for you too. Let me know how you get on!!

S

Brilliant! Your interviews sound very promising - good luck!!! The technical post sounds great - you never know what it might lead to and the contracts for these types of positions are often a lot more "permanent" than post-doc roles.
I've had a couple of knock-backs for post-doc positions this week but wasn't expecting much from either of them so not too bothered (well, I was but then had some wine and pick n mix and felt much better!). I'm really hoping to get an interview for a technical position at a uni that I applied for recently but trying not to get my hopes up too much.
Enjoy your wine!!

C

Hi all - best of luck to all you academic job-seekers. I passed my PhD last summer and have held a temporary lectureship since then. That ends in 3 weeks and I have not found a job. :(

T

Good luck in finding one Chrisrolinski!!

I can really relate to how stressful the situation can be. Sometimes I have panic attacks where I think what if I can never get a job again. This is a stupid thought and I am trying to remain positive.

I just had an email off an old boss asking why a post doc was applying for a tech post. I was honest and explained my situation about being unable to move round the country ( see previous post). The area I am in is not know for lots of science activity. I said that this post would keep me in the lab give me clinical experience and pay the bills. Sometimes I think academics who now have a permanent post forget what its like to be between contracts especially in a recession.

xx

D

======= Date Modified 06 May 2011 15:11:22 =======
============= Edited by a Moderator =============
post removed - advertising