Anyone in London? Can't believe the news at the moment

B

Chococake I'm exactly the same. I'm wondering whether it's because I'm doing the boring task of editing, but even when taking a break I'm googling for the latest updates.

I'm exactly the same too - I have to keep going to the news websites, and to Facebook for rumours/local stories. I achieved almost nothing ysterday and it's only fear of my deadline that it making me do a tiny bit of work today.

H

I've found it massively distracting too.

Actually there have been a whole load of news stories in recent weeks that have really got under my skin and bothered me. I do find it hard to focus on my work when I'm feeling agitated.

I'm kinda glad it's not just me. Was feeling really guilty that my to do list had been derailed.

C

Much as I don't want you lot distracted, I'm glad I'm not the only one! This story has distubed me more than events usually do, and I'm not sure if it's the PhD stress coming out (Sept 30th deadline) or whether it's the sense of not knowing where it'll spread and when it'll end. There were rumours of trouble coming to my city yesterday (turned out to be a misunderstanding - people were planning to go to London Road Croydon, not London Road here!).

Need to try and switch off from this as I have a chapter I want done by the end of the week, but with every break I'm checking the news, and getting wrapped up in it again. FIngers crossed it all starts to calm down soon.

H

Mind you there are pockets of light relief. I found this very heartening:
http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2011/8/9/1312907555533/Locals-in-Clapham-turn-up-050.jpg

And the efforts of @Riotcleanup on twitter and Operation Cup of Tea on Facebook can raise the spirits.

And this is good for a giggle:
http://photoshoplooter.tumblr.com/

H

Glad (in a way) its not just me. Haven't managed to do any work since yesterday. I can't believe the chaos and violence - it is unbelievable.

J

my daughter works in Hackney, yesterday they were sent home and the building boarded up, but nothing much could have happened as she was back in today. It seems to have become an opportunity to steal, that is what someone who was interviewed on the radio appeared to impply. they said that they could afford to buy the stuff, but thought they join in with the thieving as the chances of getting caught seemed slight. those that do get caught will probably end up at her door, or the equivalent in other cities.

they should make them all do PhDs - there is no chance I'd steal now and throw away all the hard slog I've done for the last 4 years haha! (obviously its morally wrong too :p )(up)

C

Sneaks - that's one thing I was thinking. But then one of the first people charged to day was a primary chool worker. That's one guys who's maybe thrown their career down the toilet for some new stuff.

B

We had 'riots' in Leicester on Monday night. To demonstrate the rather dense Lestuh mindset, the main shop looted was Poundland! Says it all, eh?

In Liverpool there hasn't been looting (that I know of), just rioting: a few hundred involved, gangs of men loitering and learing at police in a threatening manner, window smashing, setting fire to bins, the odd car, a van, a shop, the 'bombed out church' WWII memorial - not much to set fire to as you may guess from its title, and smashing the windows of a bar. It still scared me whitless though - I have stress knots in my back and a headache. Not sleeping properly. This situation relates to my research, so yesterday I felt as though my thesis were playing out on the news. Very bizzare.

Also, this rioting/looting business has pushed the Murdoch/Cameron/Blair/Police scandal to the back burner in a suspiciously effective manner. And it is somewhat perplexing that the police could pull the heavy on a bunch of protesting students after a couple of hours, but not on a load of violent looters for 4/5 days.

Quote From eska:

Also, this rioting/looting business has pushed the Murdoch/Cameron/Blair/Police scandal to the back burner in a suspiciously effective manner. And it is somewhat perplexing that the police could pull the heavy on a bunch of protesting students after a couple of hours, but not on a load of violent looters for 4/5 days.

That is odd isn't it? Its scary too, because its given a whole group of people the thought that they can get away with anything (which they clearly can!). I was really scared all this week because the house I live in for part of each week (and was in at the time) is right in the middle of the trouble in london AND has no fire alarms and no easy escape routes so I was thinking, if they torched it, I'd be getting BBQ'd!

A group of football fans grouped together to protect the area which was quite amusing though.

C

ESka, didn't know you were in Liverpool. I lived there for 7 years pre PhD. How much damage to the bombed out church? I used ti live on Faulkner Square. Ok the post code ws technically Toxteth, but it was thr nice bit! Then heard there were cars on fire and windows smashed. Was gald to be away from there.

Sneaks - no fire alarm. Surely that's not legal if it's rental accomodation?!

S

I couldn't agree more! I think I have an addiction to those BBC 'Live' News feeds that are created whenever a major event happens in the world. I live in Leicester and there was some trouble, but nothing compared to London, Birmingham and Manchester. Nevertheless, it has certainly distracted me and resulted in less pomodoro tomatoes sessions this week.

@Catalinbond - its not rental, I rely on my inlaws sense of safety (turkey)