The 4 star VIP thread!

N

Quote From eska:

Well I'm very proud of my 3 star status: It means I am cool, like a not so well know style magazine. I do the business, but am a relatively free spirit.

I completely agree, and I think its an achievement to have 3 stars when I haven't even started my PhD yet!

D

If DanB hadn't been very naughty and got banned under a previous incarnation, he would have had 5 stars by now :-x

K

Yay, I am also a recent new addition to the 4-star club! But it feels rather elitist somehow...in the same way that I doubt I will use my Dr. title when I eventually finish my PhD, it feels wrong to flash one's 4-star status around. Still, the race is on for 5 stars :) My money's on Wally! KB

W

Quote From Natassia:

Quote From eska:

Well I'm very proud of my 3 star status: It means I am cool, like a not so well know style magazine. I do the business, but am a relatively free spirit.

I completely agree, and I think its an achievement to have 3 stars when I haven't even started my PhD yet!

Actually Natassia, it could mean that Eska is a washed out former celebrity and fading star like Bruce Jones or, worse still, Nasty Nick of BB fame.:p

Wally, thats not very nice:-(

T

Don't mind him Eska, Wally is just in a quagmire of bitterness due to the pain of phd research. He'll be back to his usual flattery and wit before long I'm sure ;-)

W

Quote From eska:

Wally, thats not very nice:-(

Genuine apologies, Eska, I was a bit rude with that comment. My conscience is beating me up over it.:$ Have one of my mince pies. Don't worry, they're Asda Smart Price, which means they're so full of preservatives and e-numbers they never go off.

W

Oh, sorry (mince)

Oke-dokey Wal, smart price are my favourite so you're onto a winner there. Still love ya :-x

A

Well well well!!

This month truly is a special one, things that I though would never happen are occurring all around me! As well as finishing a first draft of my thesis, submission in 2 weeks (eek)...

Today I graduated to four, yes, four star status!! So I'm allowed to post here and Wally has to sign autographs for me!

Speech time....(I've chosen to channel the teary Kate Winslet Oscar acceptance speech here, so imagine me weeping as I type..) I'd just like to say thanks to everyone to supported me every step of the way to help me get to where I am today, especially everyone who had some sort of PhD or personal based problem that I posted on, so I could be voted that most special of PGF things - "Helpful User". I'd like to thank my family and friends, and thank God or Buddah or whatever magical universal driving force has helped me and given me such wisdom. But mostly, thank you all PGF :p

W

Yuk, yuk, yuk! Algaequeen, you owe me £3-50 for the chippy tea you've just made me chuck up with your saccharine speech. More seriously, well done on achieving 4 stardom. Hate to burst your bubble though because it's not quite such an achievement any more. Like MC Hammer and British Knights trainers, it's well out of fashion. Similar to the A level and GCSE debate, I think we've witnessed star inflation, so don't go putting it on your CV.
Back in my day, you had to be really exceptional to get 4 stars. I remember the days when everyone used to be so jealous of me well. I got offered my own column in the Times - writing about stuff - and was even approached to present at the grand opening of my local Spar. Alas, not any more with all you 4 star upstarts!

Is it wrong that I am as concerned about getting 5 stars as I am about finishing my thesis. If i were to become a doctor, with only 4 stars, I would feel I was a failure :-(

A

lol, 5 star is the new masterplan Sneaks, with all these people being over qualified for jobs and whatnot, we need 5 stars to give that extra edge on our CV :-) only a matter of time though!

And Wally, sorry about your dinner there, couldn't resist it though! :-) Perhaps I'll not channel Kate for my PhD acknowledgements though....

S

I think 4 stars is still something to be proud of - it means that you're an astoundingly insightful and all round wonderful person - but those 5 stars...... I'm lucky in that I still have another year to go minimum til submission and there is a chance that I will attain that level of greatness, I can see it now - Dr. Stressed, BA (Hons) First Class, MA Distinction, 5 stars - ahhhh it will be a wonderful day - the pinnacle of academic achievement!

======= Date Modified 10 Sep 2010 11:04:34 =======
I honestly don't think that us normal posters can get 5 stars. The only people with 5 stars are mods, although they claim to be unable to award stars and that they have no idea how many 'helpful user' clicks awards the fifth star - it could be set at 5000 clicks! its all extremely suspicious. I think the forum needs a complete overhall and have a thanking system like talkstats.com and we could have our own avatars, not that I'm going to give up my top hat that easily.