ESRC Open Competition results

M

Anyone heard about these yet??
Been waiting since March for an answer for my +3 application and they should be announced anytime soon. I'm going crazy with the wait as the time draws closer!

K

======= Date Modified 30 Jul 2010 15:37:00 =======
I'm waiting too. I think we should hear any time from the 2nd of August onwards

P

i think it's normally around the 4th of August, something like that. So hopefully you should hear next week.

good luck!

S

Wishing you lots of luck and not too many sleepless nights - I so remember that from the AHRC a couple of years back - finally heard on the 22nd Aug! I also remember the letterbox vigil and the feeling of nausea mixed with excitement followed by deflation every time the post arrived and nothing from them. Hopefully the ESRC are more clued up with delivering the letters lol! Hope you're both successful, keep us posted :-)

M

' nausea mixed with excitement followed by deflation every time the post arrived and nothing from them', feel exactly the same way, only with email! I can't stop checking it. hopefully the weekend'll take my mind off it and by next week we should know...thanks to all and good luck to those waiting too!

K

I just had a quick look on the ESRC webpage and found this information:

(robin) Decisions are sent via the ESRC Institutional Contacts at the HEI by early August 2010. We no longer send results to individual students. Do not contact the ESRC for decision results. If you require information from ESRC please use the following email: [email protected]

So, the email will not come from them directly but through the uni you are applying through. Here is the page which shows all the institutional contacts: http://www.esrc.ac.uk/ESRCInfoCentre/opportunities/postgraduate/HEInominated/Index.aspx

Hope this helps

J

======= Date Modified 02 Aug 2010 11:27:18 =======
============= Edited by a Moderator =============
-inappropriate content-

M

Thanks, I'd seen that before. I guess it means it now also depends on admin staff at our individual unis, with added stress of some notifying later than others. Argh...

K

I guess so. When you get the email do please post to let us know how you got on, and I will do the same so that we know the news is at least out and some hassling can be done to those individuals on the list.

P

I'm glad I've found this topic! I applied for this competition in April 2010 and the wait is killing me too. I applied with RHUL and haven't heard anything yet. I will let everyone know when I do and hope we hear soon!

S

I'm in the same boat as all you - I've contacted my HEI Nominated Contact, and she reckons 'early' August, but ESRC are putting back some call closures so don't hold your breath. Also, the section posted earlier missed something out, below is the full copy. The main bit is ESRC POST A LETTER to the Uni (we ARE in 2010, right?), so even if the decisions are out today, we have to wait for the post before we then have to trust in the administrative prowess of the uni department . Chin up peoples!!!!

1.23 When will the results be available?
Due to changes in ESRC payment methods, the ESRC will notify the University's Nominated Contact of their successful students. The ESRC will NOT send letters to students or supervisors. Universities will be notified of the results in late July/early August 2010.
Students, supervisors and institutions are asked not to contact ESRC to find out any decisions on individual applications. We will notify the nominated contact with the results only by letter, we cannot provide information on results either by telephone calls or emails. In addition, the ESRC will provide the nominated contact with the overall grades of all proposals received from that institution. This information will be made available to HEI contact with the notification of successful Students.

Taken from: http://www.esrcsocietytoday.ac.uk/ESRCInfoCentre/Images/Je-S%20Guidance%20Notes%20for%20Submission%202010%20(3)_tcm6-25861.pdf
:-s:-s

M

well. there's nothing left to do but wait..we could also place bets on the days we think results are gonna come out, it might cheer things up
:p

K

That's a good idea, but do you mean when we get the emails from our respective uni's, or when the ESRC tells our respective uni's (if we know)? This is assuming that both these things won't happen on the same day.

OK, I think we have pretty much tacitly agreed to post when we get our results. So I bet that it will be this Friday (6th) that the first person announces their news, either good or bad.

M

well, i guess whenever the first person has any news..i'm gonna be very optimist and go for tomorrow, 4th, although I can already feel I'm wrong!

P

Quote From mixilgt:

well, i guess whenever the first person has any news..i'm gonna be very optimist and go for tomorrow, 4th, although I can already feel I'm wrong!

I too am going to go for tomorrow! I hope...